Chapter Forty Eight - An Old Friend

After the meeting with Lionheart, Aya along with Team RNJR and Qrow take refuge in a three story house in Mistral. During this time, Qrow leaves for a bar. Jaune, Ren and Nora are sitting on a pair of red couches in a living room while Aya was calibrating her systems. When there's a knock on the door. They tense and look at each other before Jaune cautiously goes to open it. Aya soon steps in.

Aya: I will answer it. 

When Aya opens the door, a farm boy is on the other side, looking hesitant and uncomfortable. 

Aya: May I help you? 

Farm Boy: Um... yeah. Is there a Ruby Rose here?

Jaune, Ren and Nora immediately stand up, tense and defensive.

Nora: Why?

Farm Boy: Well...

He looks to his left and Qrow appears, moving drunkenly and grabbing the farm boy by the shoulders.

Qrow: I found him!

Qrow snorts into his hand and continues laughing as he stumbles into the house.

Farm Boy: I think her uncle could use some help.

Qrow almost makes it to the couch Jaune just vacated before he stumbles and saves his balance by falling backward onto the cushions.

Qrow: Whoa. Ugh. I found him.

Ruby: What is going on out there?! Can't a girl read her comics in peace?

Qrow burps and chuckles, catching Ruby's attention. She sighs and puts a hand to her forehead exasperatedly.

Ruby: Qrow, did you get drunk again?

Qrow: Maybe.

Aya: I am detecting large amounts of alcohol in your system. You are very intoxicated.

Qrow: Only a little....

Farm Boy: Oh. You have silver eyes.

Ruby looks at him, a touch surprised. She turns to Ren and Nora, who shrugs again, before looking back at the farm boy.

Ruby: Who... are you?

Qrow chuckles from the couch.

Farm Boy: Uh... Well. My name is Oscar Pine.

Qrow: Wait for it...

Oscar: But you probably know me as... Professor Ozpin.

All of Team RNJR all gasp, and look confused. Jaune takes a couple steps back. Qrow continues chuckling.

Qrow: I did it!

He falls off the couch onto the floor, startling Nora. Aya was very much confused at this. Everyone was still in shock at the revelation that Oscar was Ozpin. It wasn't long before they all began speculating why this was the case.

Aya: How is this possible? Professor Ozpin was killed during the Fall of Beacon.

Nora: Did he age backwards?

Jaune: He's possessed!

Ren: Or reincarnated!

Ruby: Oh! Isn't it weird?

Oscar: It is very weird, yes.

Qrow: Okay, okay. Let's all just take a second and remember that this is very overwhelming for everyone.

Aya: I have been compiling all the information available in my database, but I cannot find anything that can explain why Ozpin has become a farm boy. 

Oscar: No kidding....

Qrow then takes a seat on the couch next to Oscar. Ruby and Nora have taken a seat on the couch perpendicular to Qrow's, while Jaune and Ren remain standing. Oscar then shares a brief look with Ruby, who giggles, causing Oscar to blush.

Oscar: It's just I've never really met Huntsmen and Huntresses before.

Ruby: Well, uh... we've never met a person with two souls! So, first times all around. 

Aya: Yes. I do not believe there is any recorded instance of a person having two souls. 

Oscar smiles and chuckles at Ruby before he hears Qrow clear his throat.

Qrow: Not to break up the whole 'getting-to-know-you' game, but we need to have a talk. Mind showing us your little parlor trick, kid?

Oscar: Yeah, okay. Just so you know, I'll still be here.

The members of Team RNJR look at him in confusion. Oscar then lowers his head and closes his eyes. Suddenly, a green and white aura shines from his body for a moment, Oscar opens up his eyes, which are now glowing, and he smiles. When he speaks, they all hear a familiar voice overlapping with a bunch of other voices, including Oscar's.

Ozpin: It is so very good to see you again, students.

All of Team RNJR share brief looks of confusion.

Jaune: Wait, what just happened?

Ren: Professor... Ozpin?

Ozpin: Correct. And though I may be the one speaking, Oscar is still present mentally. He's merely handed over the control, so to speak.

Oscar(Voice): Just don't make us do anything embarrassing

Ozpin: I'm afraid this all must be very perplexing.

Nora: And alarming, and bizarre, and just really kind of hard to believe overall!

Ozpin: It's good to see you children still have your sense of humor. I know you've all been through tremendous hardship already. I'm sorry.

Ruby: I mean, it's not your fault.

Ozpin: It's all my fault. I told you once that I made more mistakes than any man, woman, and child on this planet, and I wasn't exaggerating. I'm... cursed. For thousands of years, I've walked the surface of Remnant, living, dying, and reincarnating in the body of a like-minded soul. The Professor Ozpin you all met was not my first form, and clearly wasn't my last. It's...an extraordinarily strenuous process on everyone involved.

Jaune: So who...what...are you?

Ozpin: I am the combination of countless men who've spent their lives trying to protect the people of Remnant. With every rebirth, my soul is eventually merged with another and I am changed, but my memories stay with me. This curse was bestowed upon me by the Gods, because I failed to stop Salem in the past. But we must stop her now.

Ruby: And how do we do that?

Ozpin: We start...by ensuring the safety of the Relic of Knowledge.

Nora: This is perfect! We were stuck at a dead end, but now, we can just take little cute boy Ozpin to Lionheart and have him set things straight!

Aya: I don't think that's a good idea. 

Ruby: How do you figure?

Aya: Lionheart's mannerisms are....strange. When we met, his heartbeat quickened significantly. 

Qrow: Given all that has happened, I can't exactly blame him. 

Aya: Still. Something is off. 

Ren: Even so, I thought the Headmasters all took their orders from you.

Ozpin: That was the intention. Four lieutenants I can trust, especially during times of reincarnation. But Qrow told me about your meeting with Leonardo. He isn't just behaving irrationally, he's disobeying specific instructions I had left him. Aya is right. Something's wrong. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I don't want to rule out any possibilities, either. No one outside of this room knows that I've paired with Oscar, and I think it may be best to keep it that way.

Aya: I agree. It is the most logical step. 

Ozpin: Then we have a long journey ahead of us. Not only must we enlist more Huntsmen to our cause, but we must train for the coming battle ahead.

In that moment, Aya and Team RNJR prepared for the long journey ahead. But the journey was far from over.