Chapter Twenty Two - Round One

Weeks after the devastating attack on Vale, the Vytal Festival was in full swing. Razer watched as Team RWBY scored a victory against Team ABRN. At the same time, Razer was on his guard, knowing Vice out there. After winning their match, Team RWBY made their way to the Vytal Festival Fairgrounds. There, he meets up with Team RWBY who were eating at a food place. As they ate, Weiss was having trouble paying for the food.

Weiss: What?! How can my card be declined? I was barely into my monthly allowance!

Without saying a word, Razer reaches into his pockets and pulls out some money and hands it to the shop keep. 

Weiss: Thank you, Razer. You didn't have to do that.

Razer: I'm sure you'll find a way to pay me back, after you get your finances straightened out.

Ruby: That was awesome fight back there!

Ruby begins excitedly muttering her feelings while trying to copy her moveset. Even by this point, Razer was still caught off guard by Ruby's seemingly endless energy and enthusiasm. 

Emerald appeared.

Yang: What's up, Em?

Emerald: Just left the stadium after your amazing fight! You guys were awesome!

Ruby: Oh, shut your stupid little face...

Blake: I heard your team progressed to the next round too.

Weiss: You know, I feel that we haven't seen your other teammates.

Yang: How'd they do in the fight?

Razer: Actually, I managed to see that fight. They fought really well. Looks like they give you a fair bit of trouble if you face them. They don't flip around too much.

Yang: I don't flip too much.

Razer: That's because you're too concerned about something happening to your hair. Why you concern with something so trivial is beyond me.

Emerald: So um....

Razer: Razer. 

Emerald: Razer. So a lot of the other Beacon kids told me about you. I never thought I'd meet an actual alien. 

Razer: Now you have. I trust you have something more productive to say than the obvious. 

Ruby: Uh. Why don't we all go and get a victory food together?

Emerald: Oh, gosh, that's so nice of you, but my teammates are all kind of...

The group looks back at Mercury as he sniffs the inside of a boot, looking perplexed after he does so.

Emerald: ...introverted. Really socially awkward.

Yang: Ooh, yeah, I could see that.

Emerald: Oh yeah, looks like Merc and I are going to move on to the doubles round. What about you guys?

Ruby: Well, as the leader of this team, I thought long and hard about this decision.

Weiss: We put it to a vote.

Ruby: Yes, so, but I decided that we should put it to a vote.

Blake: We voted for Weiss and Yang.

Weiss: I will happily represent Team RWBY.

Yang: Yeah, we're going to kick some butt!

Emerald: Well, if Mercury and I see you down the line, don't think we'll go easy on ya.

Yang: Wouldn't have it any other way.

Emerald: Alright, well we're going to catch some more fights.

With that, Emerald leaves. As Emerald leaves, Razer couldn't help but be suspicious of her and Mercury. His time at the Red Lantern Corps taught him that enemies were everywhere. She reminded him too much of Bleez. Suddenly, they were approached by Team JNPR.

Jaune: Mind if we join you?

Team JNPR then joins Team RWBY and Razer in eating. As they finished their meals, all were either content with their meal or holding their stomachs sickly.

Ren: Are you sure it's wise to have eaten before a fight?

Pyrrha: Of course! It will give us energy!

Nora simply gives a hearty belch.

Jaune: If I barf, I'm blaming you.

Nora: Ooh! Aim at the enemy!

Ren: Nora, that's disgusting. But if you feel the urge...

Before Ren could finish his sentence, Aya joined them. 

Aya: Hello, everyone. 

Ruby: Hey, Aya! Where's Penny?

Aya: Penny is resting at the moment. She wanted me to tell you that she is looking forward to hanging out with you. 

As Aya said this, she turned her attention to Razer. 

Aya: How are you, Razer? 

Razer: I'm fine. 

Aya: You seem....preoccupied. Is something the matter?

Razer: Nothing you need to concern yourself with, Aya. 

As Razer said that, the rest of Team RWBY knew what was on Razer's mind. Ever since their encounter with Vice, they knew that the arrival of the Red Lantern brought unease to Razer's mind. 

Aya: Is there anything I can do? 

Razer: No. 

The longer Razer looked at Aya, the more he could see his late wife Ilana. It brought greater unease to him. Despite this, he kept this to himself. Aya became even more curious about Razer's behavior. Meanwhile, Emerald met up with Mercury. 

Mercury: So, how are the new friends?

Emerald: I hate them.

Mercury: Orders are orders.

Emerald: I just... how can they be so happy all the time!?

Mercury: Did you at least get what we want?

Emerald: It's the heiress and the bimbo.

Mercury: Hmm, alright. At least we know who we're working with.

Emerald: The only real problem is that alien. If what Cinder told me about them are true, then he's gonna be a problem.

Mercury: Then let's just hope Cinder's plan goes without a hitch. 

Emerald: And if what Torchwick is saying is true, then we may have an even bigger problem?

Mercury: How do you figure?

Emerald: Shortly before the train crashed, Torchwick said he saw another alien fighting Razer. He had the same uniform. 

Mercury: Really? Huh? I'm sure Cinder's gonna want to hear this. Let's get going.

With that, Emerald and Mercury left the fairgrounds to help Cinder move forward with the final stages of her plan. In that moment, the plot thickened.