Chapter Ninety Nine - Witch

As the Atlas Military battle against the hordes of Grimm that have breeched Atlas, Yang's group made their to the Monstra. Once they made it inside, they took a moment to catch their breath.

Yang: Well, that was harrowing.

Jaune: We're not in the clear yet. We still have to search this whole thing and find Oscar before the Ace-Ops blows us to pieces.

Saint Walker: Jaune's right. We're in the lion's den. We shouldn't linger.

Yang: How are we supposed to find Oscar? It's going to be like finding a needle in a...giant...whale. Why did we think this was a good idea?

Ren: I... I might be able to help. I can sense spikes of people's emotions, I think. It happened on at the outpost. If I focus my Aura, I can keep it up. With that, Jaune used his Semblance to boost Ren's Aura. Ren soon leads the group through the corridors of the Monstra. As they moved through the corridors, they encountered a Seer. Luckily, they were able to hide from it's gaze. As they attempt to move forward, Ren's Aura breaks from overuse, causing the Seer to detect them. Yang then uses Ember Celica to destroy the Seer.

Yang: So much for sneaking around.

Saint Walker: There's no point arguing about it now. Oscar still needs our help.

Yang: Let's do what we do best, charge blindly into danger.

Jaune: Would've gone with "keep moving forward," but sure. Ren?

Ren: Forward, no matter what.

With that, the group continued moving forward. As they turned a corner, they encountered Emerald who had Oscar with her. As the group was about to attack Emerald, Oscar stopped them.

Jaune: What's going on here?

Oscar: It's a long story.

Yang: You're gonna have to try and summarize it. Why should we trust you?

Ren: Because she's scared. Just like us.

Emerald: Or maybe because I know how to get out of here.

Saint Walker: The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Trusting Oscar's judgement, the group began to follow Emerald through the Monstra, though they kept a close eye on Emerald. Soon enough, they began to close in on the one of Monstra's open-air landing bays.

Oscar: We're almost out!

Suddenly, the group found themselves confronted by Salem herself. Without hesitation, the group attacked Salem, but they were easily overpowered them. She then summons several Shadow Hands to restrain the group.

Salem: You're all like cockroaches. You just keep coming back.

As Salem has Yang's group restrained, she turns to Oscar.

Salem: Look how you've diminished. How you've lessened yourself, and for what? These children, this ruined world? Why....do...you...keep...coming...back?!

Yang: Why do you?!

As Yang called out to Salem, Salem's gaze drifted to Yang.

Yang: All of this endless death, because something bad happened to you once upon a time?! Nobody gets a fairy-tale ending! Everything I've lost, every person I've lost, is because of you!

Salem: And who is it I've taken from you, girl?

Yang: Summer Rose. My mom!

Salem: Hm...Her, again.

As Salem said this, she turns to Saint Walker.

Salem: So you're one of the aliens. I've heard so much about you and your friends. Never in my wildest dreams did I think life existed beyond the stars.

Saint Walker: And I have heard so much about you, Salem. Despite what you represent, we still stand strong.

Salem: Why bother holding on to hope?

Saint Walker: Because hope is stronger than you think. Because sometimes, all you need is a single spark of courage to ignite the fires of hope.

Salem: You cling on to a fantasy.

Saint Walker: Hope is no mere fantasy, Salem. Hope is perhaps the most dangerous weapon you have ever faced. Your chief weapon is fear. So I must ask you this. What happens when every being in Remnant no longer fears you?

Salem: It doesn't matter. This exchange is over. Your deaths are long overdue.

As Salem was about to kill Saint Walker and the others, Hazel soon enters the room.

Salem: Ah, Hazel. I found our guests. It seems Emerald was offering them aid. Take the boy back to his chamber. I have work to do with this one. I will personally kill the rest.

Hazel: Yes, of course.

Hazel then walks behind Salem to get to Oscar. He grabs Oscar by the collar and lifts him up to eye-level. After a moment of silence, he drops him and hands him the Long Memory.

Hazel: No more Gretchens, boy.

Without warning, Hazel attacks Salem, releasing her grip on the others. As Salem recovers, she conjures a tornado to lift her off the ground.

Hazel: Go! Flee!

As the everyone was freed, Hazel then injects himself with various Dust crystals into his body and activating his Semblance. As they fled, the group began running for the exit.

Jaune: Come on everyone, out!

As everyone makes their way to the exit, Oscar stops and looks to see Salem gaining the upper hand on Hazel.

Saint Walker: Oscar! We have to go!

Oscar: She'll just come after us.

Oscar then prepares to use the Long Memory on Salem. As she attempts to attack Oscar, Hazel restrains Salem. That moment was what Oscar needed to the cane, which releases a green forcefield followed by a blast of light the area. As Salem was immobilized, Saint Walker and the others seized the opportunity to escape the Monstra. Though they rescued Oscar from Salem's clutches, the danger they faced was far from over.