Chapter Fifteen - Burning The Candle

In the Emerald Forest, Razer trains in solitude. This latest incident with Blake was on his mind. While he agreed that this dance was a waste of time, Razer didn't approve of Blake wasting herself away in pursuit of her goal. After a solo training session, the renegade Red Lantern took a moment to rest. As he rested, he looked to large tree. His mind goes back to a memory with Ilana. Razer had just gotten into an altercation with a low level warlord. This resulted in a brutal beat down that would've killed him had the warlord not spared him out of mockery. In the aftermath of that beating, Ilana was treating Razer while he was leaned up against a tree.

Ilana: I hate seeing you like this, Razer? Did you have to antagonize him like that?

Razer: I saw the way he was looking at you. I know what he had planned.

Ilana: He could've killed you.

Razer: But he didn't. He spared me because he thought I was too pathetic to kill.

Ilana: Razer, life is hard enough as it is. We've lost so much....I don't want to lose you too. 

As Ilana said this, Razer smiled as he caressed Ilana's face.

Razer: You won't lose me. Of that I can promise. 

Ilana: This place used to be beautiful. When I was a little girl, my father told me stories of how the people were happy. I...I hope to see that beautiful place one day. 

Razer: Maybe we will. 

As Razer said that, he looked upon Ilana's smiling face. To Razer, Ilana was the only bright spot in his life. 

Razer: Ilana, I don't know how much time we have left. We both know that life on Volkreg is harsh and we could both die at any minute. But before our time comes.....

As Razer said that, he grasped Ilana's hand and presented her with a simple ring. A gasped escaped Ilana's mouth. 

Ilana: Razer, I....

Razer: You have been the one bright spot in a life of darkness. I've lost so much in my life, but loving you has been the greatest moment in my life. Ilana, will you marry me?

As Razer proposed to Ilana, tears began streaming down Ilana's face as she hugged Razer. 

Ilana: Yes. With all my heart, yes!

As Razer remembered that proposal, Razer looks back on the tree in the Emerald Forest. As he looks back on that memory, a tear fall down Razer's face. He looks back on all that had happened after that proposal. A short time of happiness and joy was ripped away from him and sent him on the path that he was on now. 

Razer: Ilana.....

Meanwhile, Aya observes Razer from a distance. She had become curious about him since they had met. Back at the Emerald Forest, Razer was about to resume training when he stopped. He looked upon his Red Lantern Ring. He thought of all the atrocities he had committed using it. He thought of how he used his anger to murder countless innocent people. 

Razer: Never again.....

As Razer continued to train, he couldn't shake the feeling about Blake and the dance. The more he thought about it, the more Razer couldn't help but get behind the idea of the dance. For all his life, he had known only battle and death. But then he looks back on the memories he had with Ilana. The memories he looked back on were of love, joy and happiness. It had been so long since Razer had experienced such feelings. 

Razer: Hhm....

Suddenly, Razer was approached by Aya. 

Razer: What are you doing here? 

Aya: I wanted to speak with you, Razer. Ruby and her friends told me that you would be here. 

Razer: I thought I made it clear that I was to be left alone. 

Aya: I wanted to speak to you about the dance. Ruby told me that you didn't want to go. They however want you to come. 

Razer: Then perhaps they should focus on convincing Blake to go to the dance. 

Aya: Actually, they already have. 

Hearing this caught Razer off guard. He was so sure that Blake would not go to the dance and continued her relentless pursuit of Roman Torchwick. 

Aya: Razer, I do not know you well. But you strike me as a kindred soul.

Razer: You don't know the first thing about me. I'm far from a kindred soul. If you knew what I did, you would see that I am far from deserving of happiness. 

Aya: You are wrong. Despite your apparent anger, you have shown the capacity to help others. You've worked so hard at your duties. Perhaps it is time to relax. 

As Aya said this, Razer was silent for a moment. Aya's words were similar to that of his late wife Ilana. He could not understand how such a thing was possible. As Razer took a moment to process this, he thought about what would Ilana want. He knew that Ilana would want him to enjoy life as much as possible. While Razer believed that he didn't deserve such happiness due to his actions, he knew Ilana would want him to have those moments of happiness. 

Razer: Perhaps you are right. Very well. I shall attend this dance. 

Aya smiles at Razer's choice. In that moment, Razer had decided to participate in the Beacon Dance. But what Razer didn't know was that the same forces working with Roman Torchwick had plans to infiltrate Beacon Academy by using the Beacon Dance.