Chapter Twenty Three - The Price Of Power

As the Vytal Festival was in full swing, Razer did not share the mood of his teammates. In the early hours of the morning, Razer went to his usual spot in the Emerald Forest to be by himself. As Razer trained himself, his thoughts fell back to the day he lost Ilana.

Razer(Past): Razer: But....I came back for you. I came back for you. I came back. I came back for.....I CAME BACK FOR YOU!

Razer's screams of anguish echoed in his mind as he unleashed a powerful beam of red energy from his Ring, destroying several trees. Moments later, a group of Grimm began flocking to him. As the Grimm prepared to attack him, Razer unleashed the full power of his ring upon the Grimm, destroying them. As the Grimm were destroyed, Razer took a deep breath. His mind soon fell to his encounter with Vice.

Vice: Atrocitus had such high hopes for you, Razer. You were the very personification of righteous fury! Now look at you. You are but a shell of your former self.

As Razer lamented on the words spoken by Vice, he knew his former Red Lantern comrade was out there. He began to wonder if Atrocitus would send more Red Lanterns after him. Razer then turns around to see Aya.

Razer: Aya. What are you doing here?

Aya: You seemed....distressed earlier so I wanted to check on you. It's odd that there was any Grimm activity in this area.

Razer: They flock to me because of my ring.

Aya: How so?

Razer: From what I understand, these creatures are drawn to negative emotions. They flock to it like a moth to a flame. In my case, they are drawn to the rage the powers my ring.

Aya: So your ring is powered by your own anger? I've never heard such a weapon.

Razer: Pray that you never do.

As Razer said that, Aya scanned Razer's ring. Everything about his ring was unlike anything that existed in Remnant. It piqued Aya's curiosity.

Aya: Such a fascinating object. It takes on the appearance of an ordinary ring, yet it possesses great power. Not even the Atlas Military has a weapon producing the kind of power that your ring can project.

At this point, Razer's anger began to swell up. He gazed upon Aya's face, only to see the face of Ilana. This further spurred Razer's anger, causing his ring to glow.

Aya: Razer? Is something wrong?

Razer: You don't understand how hard this is. This....ring has been a source of great pain for me. I turned away from the Corps that is built on anger and hate, yet this ring stayed with me, which means the rage within my heart still remains. My life....is tied to this ring.

Aya: If you hate the ring so much, why not discard it? I'm sure someone else would.....

Razer: Never! Even if I could free myself from this cursed ring, it would mean I condemn someone else to my fate. I keep this ring so it would not inflict another soul. So no one would endure what I have endured.

As Razer says this, he looks upon his ring to see that it needs to be charged. Razer then summons his Lantern Battery and raises his ring to it. After a moment, Razer builds up the strength to speak the words.

Razer: With blood and rage of crimson red, Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead, Together with our hellish hate, We'll burn you all--that is your fate.

Aya observes Razer reciting the Red Lantern Oath. She observed as the Lantern Battery charging Razer's ring.

Aya: Interesting.

Razer: Interesting?! It's vile and I'm forced to recite those words over and over again so that I continue using this ring!

Aya: I apologize, Razer. I did not mean to offend.

Razer: But you did. Not only do you trivialize and insult my struggles with words of interest! You and everyone else could never hope to understand the hell that I must live with each and everyday, certainly not a machine!

Aya fell silent on Razer's words.

Razer: Not only that, but you wear HER face! That is the biggest offense at all. When I look at your face, I see HER!

As Razer's rage grew, his ring began to glow. Despite this, Razer restrained himself before his anger could fully consume him.

Razer: Leave. Now.

At this point, Aya realized that there was no point in trying to talk to Razer any further. Respecting his wishes, Aya left Razer alone. As Razer was left alone, more Grimm flocked to him. Razer killed them all with the power of his ring. As Razer was killed the group of Grimm, Razer looked upon the ring with anger and resentment. He glanced over to a tree. His mind falls back to his wedding day with Ilana. He remembers the vows Razer and Ilana made to each other.

Razer/Ilana: We are one when together, we are one when parted.

Razer(Past): As you are the Moon of my life....

Ilana: As I am your Sun and Stars.....

Razer/Ilana: All seasons, all worlds. Under stars and earth. You and I. I am yours and you are mine in this life and the next.

As the words of their wedding vows echoed in Razer's mind, he remembers all that he has lost. In that moment, Razer lamented on all that he had lost. He lamented on the price of power that was now in his hands. For now, all Razer could do was move forward.