Chapter Forty Two - A Much Needed Talk

After their encounter with Tyrian, Aya helped Ruby and the others move the wounded Qrow to safe place for him to heal. They soon made camp outside Oniyuri where Aa began healing Qrow while he told them about the Maidens.

Ruby: So these... Maidens... They're powerful fighters that don't need to use Dust or magic.

Qrow: Yeah.

Nora: And there are four of them?

Qrow: Yup. Always.

Ren: Which means that, whenever one of them dies, the power transfers to someone - a female - that they cared about?

Qrow: Whoever was in their thoughts last. Important distinction. Best option is someone we can trust. Regardless, their souls become combined, in a way.

Jaune: And that's what you were trying to do to Pyrrha...the night the tower fell. You were trying to turn her into one of them.

As Jaune mentioned Pyrrha's name, Qrow became quiet. 

Jaune: So you forced it on Pyrrha.

Qrow: We didn't force anything. We explained the situation and gave her the choice, and she chose. You were there, you heard her.

As Jaune hung his head in grief, Aya became curious.

Aya: What of Penny? Did she know about these Maidens? 

Qrow: No. To be honest, I don't know why they went after her. Maybe they found out that she was a robot and....

Aya fell silent as she glanced at Ruby. She could see the sadness within Ruby's eyes. 

Ruby: That guy, Tyrian- why was he after me?

Qrow: Well, you definitely painted a target on your back with what you did at Beacon. I told you having silver eyes is a rare trait. And the fact that you were able to use them seems to have upset some very powerful people. Not many people know about the silver eyes. Those that do aren't very happy that one has surfaced. That's why I've been keeping an eye on you in order to make sure you were safe. All of you.

Jaune: He was using you as bait.

Qrow: Look, I wouldn't put it like that - it's complicated.

Aya: Perhaps it was for the better. Now we know who Cinder works for. 

At this point, Aya began to wonder if the other Red Lantern was a part of this. It wasn't long before Jaune grew more enraged as everything began to grow more clearer.

Jaune: What is all of this? Ruby's being hunted, the schools are being attacked, all for what?! What is the point of all of this?! Will you just tell us what's going on?!

Qrow then sighs and tells the story about Remnant's ancient history and how it pertained to them. He also tells of his Semblance and how it brings bad luck to him wherever he goes. As Aya continues to tend to his wounds, everyone was horrified to see purple liquid seeping from Qrow's wound. They soon realized that Tyrian's attack had poisoned him. Aya inspected a sample of the liquid in Qrow's wound. 

Aya: Qrow was been poisoned with a powerful neurotoxin. I was able to slow down the poison's effects, but we need to get him medical attention immediately. 

They wasted no time in trying to move Qrow to safety with Aya carrying him. Ren leads the way while Nora watches the back. Ruby and Jaune stay by Aya's side.

Ruby: Hang on, Uncle Qrow.

Qrow is groaning in pain and is a touch delirious.

Qrow: Tai. She's not... coming... Tai.

Ruby: Uncle Qrow....

Aya: You have nothing to fear, Ruby. We will get Qrow the medical attention he needs. All will be well. 

Qrow coughs repeatedly. Aya continues applying healing energy to heal Qrow, but all it does is slow the effect of the poison. 

Jaune: He's getting worse.

Ruby: How much farther?

Nora: We've gotta be close.

Ren: Without the map, there's no way of knowing. But I feel like we're close to something.

Aya: I am sending a distress signal to any nearby Atlas ship in the area. We'll need to set up somewhere where they can see us. The settlement ahead will do. 

Soon enough, they reached an abandoned village. The air became tense. Everyone felt a sense of uneasiness. Without hesitation, Aya begins running scans on the area, looking for enemies. It wasn't long before Aya detected something. 

Aya: My scans are detecting one other signature heading our way. 

Ruby: Is it help? 

Aya: Not likely. It looks to be alone. I'm not detecting anything Human. It appears to be some kind of Grimm. 

Jaune: A lone Grimm? That doesn't sound good....

Suddenly, the sound of slow plodding footsteps was heard. Aya placed Qrow down in a safe place, suspecting that danger was near. Once Qrow was in safety, Aya goes into Combat Mode as she charges her weapons. The sound of the plodding footsteps grow louder and louder. 

Jaune: Wait, you guys hear that?

Aya: The Grimm is getting closer. We need to hold our ground until help arrives. 

Ren: No....

Nora: Ren?

Suddenly, the group was confronted by a Grimm riding on a bone horse. It exhales black smoke as it's blackened rider looks to the group. At this point, everyone readies their weapons despite not being at 100%. Ren immediately recognizes the figure.

Ren: The Nuckelavee...

As those words leave Ren's mouth, the Nuckelavee lets out an ear shrieking roar. In the face of the Nuckelavee, everyone felt immense fear. Despite this, Aya maintains her composure and rallies the rest of the group. In that moment, Ruby and her allies prepared to battle against the Nuckelavee. But they would not be alone as they would have Aya fighting alongside them.