Chapter Seventy Six - Aya's Secret Origins

As Ruby's group settled in the Atlas Academy, Pietro was brought in to inspect Aya. As Pietro does so, he makes several discoveries. 

Pietro: Amazing, Aya! Your energy output has tripled since your last inspection! 

Aya: Yes. That is because of the presence of Saint Walker's Blue Lantern Ring. 

Upon hearing this, Pietro glanced over to the currently inactive Blue Lantern Ring on Saint Walker's finger. He then glances over to the inactive Red Lantern Ring on Razer's finger. It was in that moment that Aya became curious. 

Aya: Father, what can you tell me about my creation? 

Upon hearing this, Pietro was initially taken aback by this. Aya's question grabbed everyone's attention, particularly Razer and Saint Walker. After a moment, Pietro took a deep breath.

Pietro: I suppose it's time you learned the truth, Aya. You weren't created the same way I created Penny. Your creation was....different. 

Ruby: How so? 

Pietro: When the General first challenged us to find the next breakthrough in defense technology, most of my colleagues pursued more obvious choices. I was one of the few who believed in looking inward for inspiration. 

Razer: You wanted protectors with souls. 

Pietro: The first breakthrough came when I used my Aura into Penny. But I knew that it would not be enough to create Aya. But fate came in....in the form of an alien dressed in green. 

As Pietro said that, Razer and Saint Walker knew exactly what Pietro was talking about. 

Razer: A Green Lantern. 

Pietro: Yes! That was what the alien called himself. He crashed into my lab, sustaining fatal injuries. 

Pietro then pulls out his Scroll and replays the security footage from that day. At first, there was nothing of note. But without warning, a green light crashed through the wall. When the smoke cleared, a White Martian Green Lantern was seen bleeding on the ground. 

Pietro(Footage): My Oum....

As Pietro moved to check on the Green Lantern, the Green Lantern placed his head on Pietro's head. Everyone watched as Pietro's body tensed up for a brief moment. Razer watched all this without saying a word. It wasn't long before the Green Lantern spoke. 

Green Lantern(Footage): I...I am Z'Kran Z'Rann of Sector 2814. I...I have looked into your mind, Pietro Polendina. I see....a man who wants to do good. My....my Ring....shall return home....to Oa....to find a new host. But this Battery....harness it's power for good. 

The dying White Martian Green Lantern then presents his Green Lantern Battery to Pietro. Pietro was stunned as he was given the Battery. It was unlike anything he had ever seen before. Z'Kran Z'Rann then raised his Ring to the Battery.

Z'Kran Z'Rann(Footage): In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might beware my power... Green Lantern's light

As he spoke the words, the Battery began to glow. Z'Kran Z'Rann groaned in pain as Pietro turned his attention to the dying Green Lantern. 

Pietro(Footage): I....I can get you medical attention. I'm sure there's something.....

Z'Kran Z'Rann(Footage): It's...it's too late for that now. Within this Battery lies not only the power of a Green Lantern, but a piece of myself. When I die, it will answer to you. Use this Battery.....to create....your daughter.....

Pietro(Footage): D...daughter?

As Pietro said this, Z'Kran Z'Rann took his final breath and succumbed to his wounds. The last thing that is shown was Z'Kran Z'Rann's Green Lantern Ring flying out of his finger and out the window. Razer watched all this without saying a word. Everyone was stunned by this revelation. 

Jaune: Okay....that was a lot....

Yang: No kidding....

Pietro: As per the....Green Lantern's request, I used the power within the Battery along with my Aura to create Aya. Used every ounce of power that the Battery had to offer. Just about drained it dry. But one thing was clear: there was something special about Aya and Penny. And when General Ironwood saw them, he did too. Much to my surprise, the Penny Project was chosen over all the other proposals.

Aya: You never told me this? Why? 

Pietro: I....I never knew the right time to tell you to be honest, Aya. Everything about that day seemed so....fantastical that even I find it hard to believe at times. But there is one thing that is clear, Aya. You are my daughter just as Penny is. You are both my special girls and I couldn't be any prouder to see the strong young women you have become.

It was in that moment that Aya and Penny hugged their father. While everyone was touched by this, Razer retained a look of remorseful indifference. 

Aya: What became of the Green Lantern Battery after my creation? 

Pietro: The Battery is dead and still sitting in my office back in the Pharmacy. I've yet to find a way to recharge it. I've tried to for years and have come up with nothing. And without that Green Lantern's Ring, my best guess is that Battery will remain empty for the foreseeable future. 

As Pietro said that, Razer said nothing. He glanced over to Aya and all he saw was his late wife Ilana. Between the revelations of Aya's creation and the involvement of the Green Lantern Z'Kran Z'Rann, Razer remained silent. Razer began walking away. 

Aya: Razer? Where are you going? 

Razer didn't respond to Aya, not even looking her in the eye. Aya used her scanners to inspect Razer's heartbeat. It was steady and normal. After a moment of silence, Razer spoke. 

Razer: I....I need some time to collect my thoughts. 

With that, Razer exits the room. Aya immediately knew that something was bothering Razer. But as she prepared to find out what was troubling Razer, she didn't realize was that she would learn the truth about Razer's connection to her creation.