Chapter Ninety Seven - A Greater Danger

As Saint Walker and the rest of Yang's group continued their search for Oscar, they eventually found refuge in an abandoned outpost. But as they did, they saw Ruby's broadcast on their Scrolls.

Ruby(Broadcast): Um, uh. Hi. My name is Ruby Rose. I'm a Huntress. And if we've done everything right, then I'm talking to all of Remnant right now. Dr. Polendina can explain more later, but right now you all need to know that the Kingdom of Atlas is under attack. Things are dire, and we need help. But please, try not to panic. This isn't some new enemy or invading Kingdom. This is a force we've faced before, for centuries...Salem. I know the idea of the Maidens and Relics seems...well...crazy, but I promise Professor Goodwitch of Beacon and Headmaster Theodore of Shade can verify all of this. They might even be able to help organize a way to fight back. But sadly, General Ironwood can no longer be trusted. We didn't have time to prepare for Salem. But now you do! Just because she can't be destroyed, doesn't mean she can't be beaten. If she really was unstoppable, she wouldn't have acted with such caution until now. She knows we're a threat. So even if we-- even if Atlas falls, you can't give up. I hope Amity Tower will help bring us all together. Because in the end, that's how we'll win....

Suddenly, the broadcast turned to static.

Yang: What happened?!

Suddenly, a loud noise was heard. Everyone ran outside to investigate the noise. As they head outside the farm, they saw that the ground had broken open with black liquid pouring out. Soon enough, a Sabyr's head peaks from the surface. It wasn't long before the liquid began to move towards Mantle.

Yang: It's Grimm. A river of Grimm....heading straight for the kingdom.

Saint Walker: We must warn Mantle and Atlas!

In light of this new threat, Jaune attempts to create a comms broadcast warning Mantle about the black liquid. After sending the broadcast, they prepare to continued their search for Oscar. But just as they were about to head out, an Atlas airship lands near the outpost with Winter and the Ace-Ops exiting.

Jaune: Did you hear our message? It's right there. We need to hurry.

Harriet: Where's Penny?

Jaune: Are you serious right now!? There are people in danger.

Harriet: There are people in danger because you kids are acting selfish and....

Saint Walker: There is a bigger danger that threatens to consume both Atlas and Mantle!

Suddenly, the ground began to shake once more Everyone looks to see the Grimm river forms a geyser that shoots up high enough to hit the City of Atlas and manages to force it's way past Atlas's hard light shields. The liquid then spawns Centinels which burrow into the earth of the floating city to avoid the military ships' lasers and dislodge two of the shield pylons. With these two pylons gone, the entire shield disappears. The Mostra then lands into the city, spewing black liquid which spawns more Grimm. What followed was the sight of Red Lanterns swarming Atlas. 

Winter: You're coming with us.

As the Ace-Ops moved to take Saint Walker and the others into custody, Saint Walker steps forward. 

Harriet: Out of the way! This doesn't concern you!

Saint Walker: I'm afraid I can't do that. We stand against a greater threat. 

Harriet: And how would you know?

Saint Walker: Look around you, young one. Do you really believe the Atlas fleet can withstand the combined force of both the Grimm and the Red Lanterns?

It was at this moment that Jaune stepped in.

Jaune: That's where the Grimm took Oscar. It's even bigger than I thought.

Vine: Grimm don't take prisoners.

Saint Walker: This one did. We saw it with our own eyes.

The confrontation was soon interrupted when Ironwood contacts Winter and informs her of his plan to destroy the Monstra by using a powerful bomb.

Yang: You can't blow it up with Oscar still in there!

Vine: That creature causes more damage every minute. We cannot wait.

Saint Walker: Then let us go into the Monstra and save Oscar!

Marrow: You want to go inside that thing alone?

Yang: Wouldn't you do it for Elm? Harriet? Vine?

Elm: We don't let feelings get in the way of making the right call. Trading three lives for one is stupid.

Ren: No, it's not. He's our friend. We will do whatever it takes to find him, because we care about him.

As Ren said this, Harriet scoffed.

Harriet: I really had you pegged as the most level-headed of the bunch, but I guess you're just as naïve. Feelings don't matter, the job matters. When you lose someone on your team, you move on. Replace them, like Marrow replaced Tortuga and Winter replaced...

Saint Walker: That is what you tell yourself. But the truth is that you would go to great lengths to protect your comrades.

Harriet: You don't know a damn thing about me!

Saint Walker: You cannot deny your true self forever, Harriet. The greatest enemy one can face is themselves. The sooner you learn that lesson, the sooner you can grow. 

Harriet's anger began to boil. As she was about to attack Saint Walker, Winter stepped in.

Winter: Enough. We will drop you as close as we can to the monster.

Harriet: You can't be serious. They're fugitives and traitors!

Winter: I outrank you, soldier. If you don't like that, then consider yourself court martialed.

As Winter brings the Ace-Ops in line, she turns Razer and the others.

Winter: If you aren't out in time, we drop the payload. No matter what.

With that, Tali and the others joined Winter on the airship as she planned to take them as close to the Monstra as possible. As a greater danger loomed over Atlas and Mantle, the Reaper had been unleashed on Remnant.