Chapter 4 | meet the underworld pantheon

He wasn't sure what time it was, and he felt like he should find a way to tell the time down here but if he was going by feeling he'd say it'd been a few days.

He'd wandered around Elysium a few times, gotten to know the area. Met some other shades and pondered on his life as a mortal and where he'd go from here. It was rather peaceful in his chambers, he'd actually felt relaxed for the first time in... ages really. But finally the calling he'd been waiting for was upon him, and as he was passing time by writing every single case he'd done on a scroll of paper to count them all up, he was suddenly startled by what sounded like a bell.

A deep ga-dong type sound that made him jump and look around for the source. Before his eyes a green-blue flame sparked and before him appeared what he knew for sure was a god.

The god levitated just off the ground, wore black robes and held a scythe, had a wing shaped back plate and dark eyes that stared through his now dead soul. He could tell just from the attire that this, imposing being must be Thanatos.

"L Lawliet, Lord hades has sent me to collect you" he spoke.

He sounded deadpan, had a slight echo to his voice and held a hand out for L.

"U-uh. Yeah, right... sorry I'm still getting used to the lack of time down here..." L replied, a little caught off guard.

"It gets easier the longer you stay. I doubt you'll remember me as you were still unconscious when I collected you, I'm Thanatos, death itself" Thanatos replied.

"I figured..."

L got up, hesitantly taking the gods hand and wondering what he was about to do.

"This will only take a second" Thanatos said, tapping the end of his scythe on the ground.

In an instant they were engulfed in that same blue-green flame and the sound of a bell rang in his ears. And when it cleared he was back in the house of hades where it all began.

Did he just get teleported?

"This way" Thanatos gestured.

L followed the floating god, scanning him. He still couldn't shake the detective habit of analysing even in death. Thanatos had long greyish hair, tied back with a golden chord, and his eyes were a dark navy that also seemed to sparkle when the light caught them. L knew that he was the son of Nyx the night herself, and he had no doubt those very night like features came from her. Hypnos, his twin must look similar. And Charon his older brother would too.

The family descended from primordial chaos, and L couldn't even begin to fathom what Chaos itself would look like.

As he followed the death god, thinking about him and his Devine family a thought suddenly crossed his mind.

"Wait... that bell sound. The day I died I heard the same thing..." L mumbled to himself.

"That was a warning I'd be coming to collect you. Some humans know of it, some don't. Understandably some panic when they hear it knowing they'll die soon, but you seemed to be unaware" Thanatos replied.

"I had no idea... I figured there was a wedding at a chapel or something..."

Oh how he couldn't have been further from the truth. Those bells he heard standing out in the rain mere minutes before he died, that was his warning and he didn't even know it.

At the end of the hall he was lead down were large doors that Thanatos managed to open with just the wave of a hand, and inside that room was a rather large meeting place. Many gods sat around the table, but even with that imposing presence there was one person L saw first.