Chapter 15 | dream

Woeful singing, a lyre and an echo in the sounds he was hearing. He recognised it as the same music he heard in the distance when he first rose from styx.

Where was he? He felt all... airy.

When he opened his eyes he found himself standing in the house of hades, although no one around him seemed to notice his presence.

"Tartarus has a new shipment of shades, all of which are yet to be checked in but we're so behind they'll be stuck in line for ages. Damn this Kira situation..."

Was that... Thanatos?

Turning to the source of the noise L found he was standing beside the desk and throne of hades. Thanatos floated before him looking very stressed.

"We still haven't checked in the last shipment... there's too many people dying at once it's holding up the system" Hades replied.

"We need to do something about that damn shinigami..."

Looking around, the surroundings looks almost... wobbly? Like something was slightly off. He recognised the place he was in but it didn't look quite right. Hang on, was he dreaming?

L looked down at his hands, finding them slightly blurry. He must be dreaming, a lucid dream since he was aware he was dreaming. This always happened when he was stressed, back when he was alive and working on a hard case, he'd exhaust himself and fall asleep at his desk. And of course sleep means dreams, and he'd have a stress induced lucid dream as a result.

"I don't want to get Olympus involved, it's cause too much trouble. While some of them are more levelheaded and would be able to help, you can't contact just one of them without the others getting involved" hades sighed.

"I doubt Mother Nyx and Hypnos would want to get near Olympians after... well you know what happened" Thanatos replied.

"I'm aware, I still haven't forgiven my brother for that..."

"Hypnos was... so torn up about it. It's best he doesn't get involved with Olympians again"

Huh? Something happened to Hypnos?

This was so oddly specific for a dream, like it was a conversation that was actually happening while he was asleep. Can some kind of magic do that? Is someone communicating with him via dream?

"Look I'll talk to my wife about what we should do with the shinigami. I need you and Charon to try and recruit some well adjusted shades to help around the house until we can fix this Kira thing. If (y/n) can work for years as well was they have, surely another shade can do that too. (Y/n) has been an invaluable help to the house but with their mission on the surface with L they're not able to do house duties as much" Hades explained.

"Of course lord, I'll go through the ledgers and find some recruits. Perhaps your son would know of some since he roams the underworld so much" Thanatos replied.

"Hmm, you're right, I'll talk to Zagreus for help too"

This situation was really weighing on the underworld huh?

But... what was all this about Olympus and 'what happened last time'? Wouldn't extra gods be of use to the situation? Clearly there was a falling out of some description.

L decided to walk around the house in his dream, looking for anything else he should know. If this dream was some kind of communication he should definitely pay attention. Now what about that music? He heard it when he first came here but didn't ever find out where it was coming from.

He wandered the halls, following the melancholic falsetto voice. It sounded almost siren like, something so haunting yet beautiful. He found himself in the lounge, where the gods and duty bound shades of the underworld could take breaks in between work. The singing was coming from a man, playing a lyre that looked a little familiar.