Chapter 12 | suspicions

The air felt cold in the taskforce today. Actually it had been like that every few days for a while now.

No one really knew what, but they felt like something was off. The taskforce members felt uneasy as if someone was looking over their shoulders, and Light and Misa seemed to feel a threatening presence every so often. It was almost like... they were being watched.

"I suppose we can just stay here? I mean L did give the Cheif control of the building in case this happened. We can keep using it as taskforce and when the case is over we can either sell it or convert it to a police HQ" Aizawa said.

"That's what I was thinking. Although maybe we should leave out the details of two people dying here... it might make some people uneasy" Matsuda replied.

As the group sat around the table discussing how the case would move forward without L there seemed to be a cold chill in the air. Ever since L died, things have seemed off. They just chalked it up to the mental strain that comes with watching someone die right in front of you, but you'd think the shock would be gone by now...

"We're back to square one though... what do we do now? We have no suspects, Higuchi is dead so we can't question him... the world is breathing down our necks for answers and there's only a few of us here" Mogi asked.

It was silent for a moment, and there was a slight awkward tension between the men. Someone had to say it, but who would?

Aizawa. He would.

"Listen. I may not have been friendly with L but I can acknowledge he's incredibly smart and good at his job. So... what if he was right?" He bought up.

"What do you mean?" Matsuda asked.

"Cheif I know you don't want to hear this, but isn't it a bit suspicious that as soon as L dies... Light and Misa start spending a lot of time away from the taskforce? There's still a death note missing after all, we know there's two boy we only have one. The killings continued even after Higuchi died, proving there's still one in use out there. And as soon as L dies and is out of the way of Kira... they act as if nothing happened?"

The Cheif gave a conflicted angry look over at Aizawa, understanding he had a point but still taking offence.

"Are you saying they're still suspicious to you?" He asked.

"Look I'm not saying they ARE Kira. Just that L may have been onto something. I find it odd that as soon as he dies, after that little performance Light gave screaming like it was a movie about his death... suddenly he doesn't care? He did a total 180. One minute he's crying over the death and the next he's going out with Misa for hours on end as if absolutely nothing happened" Aizawa said.

"What about the 13 day rule? He'd be dead if he did have the death note at the start" Matsuda asked.

"Unless it's fake"

It was silent again for a moment. No one wanted to admit that Light was Kira, but deep down people knew. Aizawa was just the first to get past the denial stage and speak up.

"Listen I'm not saying he is. Maybe he just knows something he isn't admitting, maybe it's Misa, maybe he knows who it is and is trying to protect them for personal reasons. All I'm saying is I think L was right for thinking that Light knows more than he's leading on. It's just weird to me that now he's gone, Light and Misa act like it never happened" He said.

Again it was silent. No one wanted to go against the Cheif, because not only was he their boss but their friend. The taskforce had known him and his kids for years, no one WANTED light to be Kira, but unfortunately for them things were pointing in that direction.