Chapter 13 | progress report

You were back sitting around the table with all the chthonic gods of the underworld. You'd been to the surface a few times now and it was time to report back to the gods on progress.

L was half awake, having been asleep before this. Ever since Hypnos gave him that mask he'd been catching up on all the lost sleep he'd had in life, taking naps is his new favourite pastime. Sitting at the table leaning on his hands, you couldn't help but snicker at his half dazed state.

"Sleep well?" You teased.

"Yeah... had the weirdest dream too" he replied.

"What about?"

"Don't really know, it was so... abstract. All kinds of things were going on at once and all I really remember was the part about shades grabbing me like when we get taken back by the Styx"

Strange, then again dreams are strange. He did ask Hypnos to suppress any nightmares he had, so maybe the strange dreams were the particles of squashed nightmares.

"Alright, let's get this started"

The commanding voice of hades spoke and the room fell silent as the beings around the table turned their attention to him.

"So it's been a few weeks of travel to the surface, and I've been informed about the shinigami... Thanatos and I are still working on that. But other than the discovery of the rouge shinigami that started this mess, any news?" He asked, looming gaze over you and L.

"Well we timed our first trip up there, and we can stay there for exactly 12 hours on the dot before Styx takes us back" you explained.

"Ah, so the estimates were right then. That should be long enough to gather information right?" Hades replied.

"So far yes, we should be able to work with 12 hours"

You looked at L, so he could add anything he wanted to add.

"We think we have an idea on how to sabotage the case" he mentioned.

That got the attention of everyone in the room, and all eyes were on him. L was used to people turning to him for answers but when it was a whole table of gods it was a little more intimidating.

"So... uh- there's one member of the taskforce that seems to be a bit suspicious of the Kira's. After I died he started to realise some things about them, and I think he's kind of in denial but knows deep down who Kira is. We want to try and use him as a chess piece of forts. If we can prove to him that Light and Misa are Kira then hopefully it'll domino effect into the rest of the taskforce. If one of them, who was so against the idea admits that the suspects are indeed the killers then the others might just follow suit" L explained.

"Hmm, interesting... it seems like the way that'd cause the lease destruction and trouble. Might be a little difficult to carry out but... some boons may help" hades replied.

Your interest was peaked at the sound of 'boons'. What boon would work the best in a case like this and who'd give it to you?

"I think the fury sisters have been willing to grant boons am I correct?" Hades asked.

You both turned your attention to the trio, who sat at the end of the long table.

"We may have been a bit interested yes, anything that involves revenge is right up our alley" Megera replied.

"Next time you go to the surface, come see us first. We'll see what we can do" Alecto added.

You actually weren't too educated on boons even though you've worked here for ages, mainly because boons were a rare thing to occur. Deities don't just give out boons to anyone for no reason.