Chapter 53 | doorstep

It seems Dionysus' warning was correct.

You and L were awoken to the distant sounds of Cerberus' three heads snarling and howling. Someone was trying to enter the underworld, and not by dying. Someone had walked all the way down the river Styx up to the entrance and was trying to get in. The two of you had an idea who it could be, so you were eager to see where this situation was heading.

Pretty much the second it registered what was going on you'd both leapt out of bed, wrapped up in your robes and dashed out the door up the river Lethe and across Asphodel, over the bridge of Tartarus and up to the house of hades. You were careful, not wanting to make the situation worse so you opted to stay out of sight.

Seems like Hades son had the same idea. When you approached the hallways of the house you found Zagreus peaking around the corner looking like he'd just been awoken from a slumber in his chambers.

"Hey, what's going on?" You said, keeping your voice down as you approached him.

"Two Olympians are here. I have no idea why, father and Nyx seem not too pleased but honestly I'm surprised there's no bloodshed yet" Zagreus replied.

You and L peeked around the corner too, seeing Hades and Nyx standing in the doorway in front of two other gods dressed in much brighter attire. From the glow and warmth radiating off the man you knew it was Apollo, and from the epitome of femininity and smell of roses the girl gave off you knew it was Aphrodite. Just as Dionysus warned.

"I've never seen them in person before..." L muttered.

"Me either, I was only a kid when we separated from them so I don't even remember what the looked like" Zagreus replied.

It was hard to make out what they were talking about, as the room was so large and the doorway they were in is far away from your position, but you had no doubt it'd be about the strange deaths in the human realm. Although they'd slowed down by now since you had the death note, it was still noticeable.

"You think they're here because they've figured out about the mass deaths?" Zagreus asked.

"Probably, that stuff is hard to ignore after a while" L replied.

Zagreus' mismatched eyes fell down to you and L crouched beneath his height watching along, suddenly realising that you two seemed to know more about the situation then you lead on.

"Hey... how did you know about this?" He asked.

"We uh- heard Cerberus making a racket so we came to see what was going on" you replied.

Not completely a lie, Cerberus did wake you up after all.

"From all the way in Elysium? Well he is a massive three headed dog... but seriously did you two hear about them coming here from somewhere?" Zagreus asked.

You and L exchanged worried glances. Were you busted? This could go badly...

"N-no we just... figured this would happen eventually. I mean mass deaths are hard to ignore. Thanatos has been overworked to hell and back because of it after all" L said.

Zagreus knew. He seemed to pick up on your nerves immediately.

"Guys it's not like I'm going to smite you or anything. Unlike my father I'm a lot less ruthless, did you hear rumours or something?" He asked.

Well shit, there was no getting out of this one. But Zagreus was right, he was a lot less ruthless than his father. In fact he's known in the underworld for being a bit of a softie and friends with literally everyone.

"Ok fine... we asked Dionysus for a boon a while ago. He swore to secrecy about the fact us shades are up on the surface when we aren't meant to be, and even gave us the heads up that Apollo and Aphrodite might end up paying a visit..." you admitted.