Chapter 38 | as mortals do

A/n: next is the lemon, this is the build up. So NSFW warning!! Heads up, even though this book as been gender neutral so far, for the lemon reader will have a female system because I know the majority of readers are AFAB. But the book will still lack gendered pronouns and keep reader neutral other than that.

Sitting in L's chambers you were passing time by helping L write out some of the cases he's done. Shades have been asking for the stories about them ever since he died so he figured writing them out and passing them around the underworld would be a good way for lots of people to see it.

It was surprising to L even after all these months that he was so known in the underworld. Probably because of his spot in Elysium and his title as world's greatest detective, it's kind of hard to miss the chatter about him and Kira. Some even found out that one of his previous successors was in Tartarus for murder and had all kinds of questions about the BB case. L even considered trying to find B in Tartarus to talk to him about what happened, but he wasn't sure if it was such a good idea.

Although finding A in asphodel might be a better option. Surely he'd have heard of L's death by now, so L showing up at his chambers wouldn't be too surprising. But for now he was still debating on it, there was the chance his previous successors just wanted to be left alone in death and if that was the case, L would oblige.

For now, he's stick to writing his cases down to pass around the underworld. From all the stories he told you, you had enough information to help write them out accurately and make the process faster. You both had time to kill after being taken by Styx and having to wait until you could go to the surface again.

"Hey L" you spoke up.

"Hm?"

"I'm your first relationship right?"

"Y-yeah you are, why?" He replied.

"So I'm your first kiss too?"

You were, he was a little embarrassed that he had to literally die in order to get a kiss from a person but at least he got that kiss eventually. Plus it was from you, it was worth dying for.

"Yeah, you were" he admitted.

"Aw, does that also make me your first everything?" You asked.

"First most things. I did have a few crushes on petty celebrities when I was alive though so..."

"Can't blame you, a lot of them are so beautiful"

You were his first kiss and first real relationship, as well as first proper cuddle and valentine, all those kinds of things. Although the title of his first crush went to Morticia Addams after the Addams family movies came out when he was a teenager. Although you couldn't blame him she was gorgeous.

Apart from that, you were indeed the first for most of his romantic endeavours. Something you were honoured to gave the title of.

"What about you? Am I any of your firsts?" L asked.

"Well considering the 20s was not the best time to be alive and I was more focused on living than romance you are a few firsts. First proper relationship, first relationship in the underworld, first proper date" you explained.

"Not kiss?"

"Unfortunately not, I wish you were. But back when I was alive and flapper shows were a thing people got really drunk and kissed their friends all the time. Made for and awkward next morning"

He snickered at the thought, not even mad he wasn't your first kiss. Because he'd kill too see you drunk off your head at a flapper show, sounded very entertaining.

"You know and then the stock market crashed and the epidemic happened and then I died. But it was fun while it lasted" you joked.

Of the few things you did remember from your life, it was mainly the major events and things that shaped the whole world.

"In truth I'm not even sure if I ever did have a relationship when I was alive. I front remember. But I count you as the first proper one because I know for a fact I couldn't afford to have a proper one when I was alive. I potentially could have had a couple of flings here and there, but I don't even remember them so I count you as the first. Plus, you're the best one so far" you admitted.

"That's good enough for me. You're the best, and only relationship I've had so I can safely say you're the closest thing I have to a soulmate" he replied.

"Speaking of firsts... can I ask something kind of... personal?"

He was confused for a moment, not having much experience in relationships he couldn't think of what would be so personal.

"Ok?" He replied.

"Have you slept with anyone?"

Oh, oh yeah that makes sense. That IS personal. He knew his cheeks must be glowing blue with blush right now, but since you were dating and he trusted you, he didn't see the harm in answering.

"N-no... I never had the time or relationships with anyone when I was alive" he admitted.

"That's ok. Honestly I don't really remember if I had or not. I'd guess not since back then abstinence was a big thing... but then again I seem to know how to do a few things that no virgin would know..." you replied.

It's not that he was uncomfortable or didn't like this very personal talk, he was just caught a little off guard. So he wasn't exactly sure how to reply to such a statement.

"W-well whatever happened when you were alive I'm sure you weren't bad at it" he said, in an attempt to compliment his lover.

There was silence for a moment, and it was clear to you his lack of experience in such a situation meant you'd have to drive the conversation and actions. Not that you minded, he was cute when he was flustered.

"Well shades can't reproduce or get any illnesses or anything... so if you're down there's literally nothing to loose" you suggested.

It took him a second to process, but when he did he couldn't help but be blunt as he usually was.

"Are you asking to sleep with me?" He asked.

"With your consent, yes. I can guide you. It's all the same as when you were alive just with soul functions rather than bodily functions" you replied.

He had a bed right behind him, a whole chamber to yourselves and literally nothing to risk or lose as a shade. Plus... he was curious to see how it really felt, you know with a a real person and not just yourself. He'd been alive 25 years and never had a partner, now he was a shade in a private place with a consenting partner. Why not? If it was with you it would bound to be good.

Why not do as mortals do?

"Just... don't be too rough" he replied.

You smiled, a slight bit of lust in your gaze. Of all the types of love there were you were his Pragma and right now... his Eros.

"As if I'd ever hurt you, trust me, I'll be gentle"