Chapter 6 | upstairs

Today... or night... whatever time it was, you and L were going to head up the Styx into the mortal world so see exactly how long you could stay there before the Styx took you back. This was your little test run. And a good way to get to know each other.

You both sat in the boat of Charon as he rowed you up the Styx. L had been given some new clothes, ones that meant he was working with the house of hades. Similar to your attire, he wore a white and navy chiton, a belt with his logo and some loops to carry things with and a golden wreath so he could be contacted by the gods. He was actually rather comfortable in it, it was like wearing a blanket. Lots of room to move around and rather warm.

"How long has it been since you were in the mortal realm?" L asked.

"Uhhh, what year is it?" You asked.

"2006"

"2006?! Fuck it's been longer than I thought. I died in 1927, car accident"

"Well cars back then weren't exactly that safe... so I can't say I'm surprised"

"Some idiot swerved and hit me, died on impact. I have a huge bruise on my side that never went away since it was there when I died. It's been long enough I can joke about it now, but for a while after it happened I was pretty shaken up" you explained.

He didn't blame you, car accidents are traumatic as hell. If you don't die you're severely injured, crushed in the wreck or cut up by glass from the windows. Didn't sound fun at all.

"Woah when you die you keep whatever injuries you had?" L asked.

"Yeah, since you're dead you aren't in pain anymore or anything but if you have a cut or a bruise it'll stay on your skin. You can tell how people died just by looking at their wounds sometimes" you replied.

"Does the way you die affect how you immortalise?"

"Sometimes. If you die sick you'll probably still have the symptoms. If you sustain an injury that severed your vocal chords you won't be able to speak. Depends on how you died and how severe it was"

This was all actually rather interesting to him. It made him think about how some people who've suffered in life will unfortunately have to suffer in death too. It also meant since he died with insomnia he'd be stuck with it forever. Not that sleeping really matters when you're dead, the body doesn't need rest anymore. But the mind does.. so maybe he should pay that visit to Hypnos you'd suggested.

"Hey Charon, how close are we?" You asked.

The boatman didn't speak, just held up his hand and gestured to the light at the end of the Styx.

"Close, better keep track of time as best we can..."

L wondered what Charon sounded like, and why he hid under that cloak. He was a kind of eerie being, but also felt like a safe one. Maybe it was the complete silence and ominous glow he had that gave off the eerie vibe.

"We'll return to the place you died when he cross over the light, where is that exactly?" you asked.

"Taskforce headquarters, Tokyo Japan. I have no idea if the taskforce are still there or not, I assume they would be since it has only been a short time since I died, and they still need resources to work on the case" L explained.

"Right, remember we're just here as a test run. Don't intervene just yet"

"It's going to take all my strength not to scare Light yet, but ok"

Light Yagami, you'd head about him. He's the one who had the death note, the one that killed L. You wanted to scare him too just out of spite for the workload he'd given you down in the underworld, but not yet, you had to wait.