Chapter 7 | taken by styx

Wandering around the taskforce all day and listening in on the taskforce gave you and L some ideas where to start with this whole operation.

It seemed they'd be staying in the building for a while to continue investigation, so that saved time trying to track them down. You figured that the best thing to do would be to tamper with evidence to make it more obvious it was Light behind the whole thing.

But there was one other thing you and L had to do before you could get this started. You needed to warn his successors not to interfere, so you'd had Thanatos teleport you to Winchester England where L grew up.

You ended up in an orphanage, one that looked rustic and old like it had been there for years. L seemed a little melancholic as he walked the halls of where he grew up, knowing that he'd never get to talk to his successors again until they died too. Hopefully of old age...

But he could haunt them, to get the message across. To his relief, it looked like they hadn't been told of his death yet. As you'd found them playing together in the games room, you had no idea what a video game was until L explained it while Matt and Mello played together.

They sat on the couch with controllers playing a brawl game and teasing each other about failing levels. Near, the youngest, was off in the corner stacking Lego's into towers.

"These two are the more loud and rowdy ones, Near is much quieter. But they're all ridiculously smart for their age" L explained.

"You miss them huh?" You said, sensing the sadness in his voice.

"Yeah... hopefully one day when they're all old I can see them in the underworld again. It'd be hard to communicate with them like this"

They all seemed very friendly with each other, despite the rivalry between Mello and Near. They just care for each other deep down.

"How long has it been?" L asked.

"About 11 hours, we've survived up here pretty long" you replied.

"We probably don't have much time left. We gotta alter my death message so they stay away from the case" L said, leading you into a room full of computers.

Computers kind of confused you, but L seemed to know what he was doing. You watched him do things you didn't understand, but he clearly knew by heart. Luckily there was no one in the room to see the computer moving by itself as L used it, that would we a shock to the kids.

He hacked into the mailing system, found the message hadn't been read yet and edited his death notice.

If you are reading this, I'm dead.

Kira killed me on the 5th of November 2006, in Tokyo Japan. Watari died along with me, the both of us as the same time and place to Kiras heart attacks. I know who Kira is, and so do the taskforce. It may take a while to finalise but the case is as good as closed once they're able to get ahold of him. I ask that my successors do not get involved as this case is much too dangerous, I've risked my life on this case to protect them. And I intent on protecting them even in death.

Mihael Kheel, Nate River and Mail Jeevas will continue to train in the program until they reach an adult age, and then the three of them together will carry out the title of L. Together they can be better than I ever was.

That is my dying wish, that they work together to surpass me. Each of them possess incredible skills, and will be able to solve three times as many cases as I ever did.

I also want them to know that I'm proud of them, and I love them. I'm sorry for leaving you behind, but know I thought of you in my final moments. Live out the rest of your childhoods, don't take it for granted.

I leave my fortune to the orphanage, to fund my successors. I leave all my belongings to them as well and they have the rights to my body. If you choose to have me returned from Japan and buried or cremated here I allow that.

Thank you for everything. May the gods watch over your lives for as long as you live, I'll see you in Elysium one day.

-L Lawliet.

He saved the edit, and sent it off. He sighed, hating that he had to leave them behind, but he hoped they obeyed his wish and worked together in the future to surpass him.

"There, now it's like that was the original message all along" L said, returning the computer to how it was before.

"Hey, at least there's someone still alive who clearly cares for you. Those boys seem to be attached to you" you assured.

"That's what I worried about, I hope they take the news well. Well... as well as you can take the news of your mentor dying" L said.

Before you could do anything else, a sudden sharp ache shot through your bodies and the both of you hunched over.

"Agh! That's it then, 12 hours" you groaned.

"Why do we have to hurt when the Styx takes us?" L complained.

"We're essentially dying again, to be reborn from the Styx"

You felt something grab your ankles and when you looked down you saw the hands of shades grab them, ready to pull you back to the underworld.

"Ow- at least the test went well" L groaned.

As quickly as you hunched over in pain, the hands pulled you through the ground and into the styx, the both of you ending up back it's it's red waters. When you pulled yourselves from the river back in the house of hades, the pain went away.

"Well... that was painful" you sassed.

"At least I got that message changed. They should be safe now" L replied.

"Let's report back to hades, in a few days we can go back up again and start to fuck with the case"

So the first test went well, you could stay up there for exactly 12 hours. Good to know, and with everything you saw you there you both had an idea or two about how to fix this whole mess.

Although you couldn't help but wonder when you'd encounter that shinigami.