Chapter 11 | following

"My gods this guy is an ass"

How many times had you said that so far? Probably too many to count. You just couldn't stand Light, L was right he was obnoxious.

"I know... gods I hate him" L sighed.

"I don't blame you" you replied.

You were up on the surface again, watching the suspects act like they were innocent around the taskforce. It was so goddamn frustrating watching them lie so easily when you knew full well what the truth was, and to make things worse the taskforce just kept buying it. You understood his father at least, no one wants their child to be a killer but at some point you just have to accept it.

L was literally killed in front of them, the only ones knowing that he was L were the ones in the building. So it had to be one of them, and all signs pointed to Light. Just the thought of him acting like he was upset about L's death made your blood boil. The absolute disrespect that was pretending to care about the person you killed...

"I'm so sick of hearing him lie" L groaned.

"Me too, this guy is a total nutcase if he can lie THAT easily with no guilt" you replied.

The taskforce had been picking up the pieces of the case after L's death, and by now they'd mostly gotten back on track minus a few details that got lost in the data deletion. But they knew the case inside and out by now, a few lost documents wouldn't be that bad. The only thing they refused to look into was the fact that Light and Misa were the culprits.

You just needed something that would turn the taskforce against him. But what? How could you get people that viewed him as basically a saint to accept he's a killer?

"This is so frustrating, we need something, anything that will incriminate him in a way the taskforce can't ignore" you said.

"One of the death notes the taskforce has, and it would be suspicious if we messed with it so we better leave that one alone. But the other one... if we can find it, maybe we can use it to incriminate him" L replied.

"Where would it be?"

"Not sure. I doubt they'd keep it in the building since that'd be too much of a risk. Maybe Light took it to his place, or Misa to hers"

Seeing as nothing was really happening aside from the taskforce finishing up recovering files and Light lying out it ass, you may as well go take a little look at the Yagami household in case he had the book. It wasn't that far from the taskforce building, only about a 30 minute walk but less if you took the train. Walking around modern Japan when you'd died years and years ago was kind of trippy. The world had progressed to fast and so much everything looked different.

L definitely didn't expect to be taking a train as a shade through Japan but then again, this whole situation he didn't expect.

Lights mother and sister were home when you phased through the wall, meaning you had to be quiet as you snooped around or they'd realise something was up. They couldn't see or hear you, but they'd hear anything you moved.

"Alright check every corner of the house, he could have hidden it anywhere" L said.

"Check inside closed spaces like walls too, you can phase through them so it shouldn't be a problem" you replied.

You both began to search the house, carefully avoiding drawing any attention from the girls. Lights mother was busy getting a start on dinner, and Sayu was sitting in front of the TV gawking at a pretty idol. She had no idea you were right in front of her when you checked around the TV, and she looked right through you.

"Ahhh he's so pretty! Mum why aren't any of the boys at school like that?" Sayu whined.

"Because the boys your age are still growing honey, they'll be pretty when they're older" her mother replied.

Snickering slightly at sayus love sick cooing, you wandered into the kitchen to check it next. You could smell the delicious smell of mortal food, something you hadn't had in a long time. It was a Katsudon bowl she was making, and it looked so good even when it wasn't done yet.

You kind of missed mortal food...

Checking in cupboards, under counters and through the walls you came up empty handed yet again. On the windowsill by the sink we're a little family of cat ornaments sitting on a sofa. Four of them, one for each family member. Probably something the mother got for decoration.

"Man... that's gonna sting when they find out..." you sighed.

You hated Light, but his family hadn't done anything wrong and would definitely be shattered when they found out Light was behind the whole thing... poor family.

"Find anything?" L asked.

"Nope, anything upstairs?" You replied.

"Nope. Either Misa has it or they've hidden it somewhere else. Checked every room upstairs and in the walls and vents"

Well, it was worth a shot. Part of you wasn't expecting to find anything anyway.

"You know... I have no sympathy for Light but his parents, his sister... they're gonna be devastated" you sighed.

"I know, that's probably why his father refuses to believe it's Light even with the evidence. It's not just him that'll suffer, it's his wife and daughter too. I... don't know much about families but I know healthy ones tend to be very close and emotionally connected" L replied.

"It's been so long since I've had a family but I remember what it was like. Well most of it anyway, if I found out my brother was a killer or worse, my child was a killer... I don't know what I'd do"

"Tell me about it. It'd be... disappointing and horrifying I think. Especially since it's my whole purpose to fight crime, not commit it"

You and L couldn't do anything about any of that. The Yagami family would be shattered when they found out, but you and L weren't meant to let people know you were there. You were dead after all, so you couldn't really do anything to help ease the pain when they found out. It made you feel kind of bad, but at least you could put a stop to the killings.

Before you could check anywhere else, you felt a sharp jab in your body and felt the ghost hands of Styx grab your ankles. With a pained groan you and L were going to be pulled back to the underworld after the day of investigating.

"Agh, man why do they have to make this process so painful?" You complained.

"See you back at the house of hades I guess" L replied.

"Race you there through the Styx"

It didn't take long for the hands to pull you through the floor and back to Styx, but at least you could say that you made some progress this trip.

At least you knew where the death note wasn't hiding. Now you needed to know where it WAS hiding.