Chapter 20 | love spell

L seemed distracted today. Well he was rather distracted by the whole dream thing the other day as well, maybe he was still hung up on that.

"Oi, underworld to L. We have a serial killer to follow" you snapped your fingers in front of him.

"Oh! Yeah... I'm following just, thinking" he replied.

"You're always thinking, then again you are a detective"

The two of you followed Light as he walked through his campus. Today when you surfaced, you found the taskforce empty as they were all off with their families for the day, and Light was getting ready to go out. So you figured you'd follow him watch what he does when he's away from the taskforce. You planned on using those boons soon, and considering Light was leaving taskforce more often that Tisiphone boon would definitely come in useful.

"Man this guy is so boring when he's not being insufferable" you sighed.

"I know. You'd think he'd be more interesting since he's a literal psycho but nope. He's boring, insufferable and occasionally has a smart moment" L sighed in return.

You could feel the hatred he held for Light practically leaking out of him. Although L seemed rather distracted today in particular. You knew he was very hung up on decoding that dream he maybe he was pondering on that again. You didn't blame him, it was a weird dream. The whole situation was a mess, so you definitely didn't blame him for being distracted by well... everything.

"Who knew watching this guy would be so boring? I mean he's literally Kira" you sighed.

"Believe me even when I was alive and watching him it got boring sometimes, although now he can't see us we could absolutely catch him in the act of something" L replied.

For now all he was doing was walking from one lecture to the next, hardly a criminal act. Although he'd definitely been acting weird recently... almost as if he was eager to get something done. Distracted by something else he wanted to do and just going through the motions until he could do it.

That bloody death note... where had he taken it? If only you knew, it would make things so much easier. He was bound to reveal it at some point, you just had to keep watching.

"Hey uh... (y/n)?" L began, breaking the silence.

"Yeah?" You replied.

"Did you ever like... marry when you were alive?"

"Nope. Died too young. I was only in my 20s, didn't even even have a partner to marry"

"So you don't have a lost shade somewhere down here there waiting for you?"

"No, why?"

He was silent a moment, trying to think of a reason for the oddly personal question.

"Just... wondering" he said.

You gave him a playful smirk, making him fluster up a little.

"W-what?"

"Do I detect a cruuuusshhhh?" You teased.

"I- um- no?" He stammered.

Oh he so had a crush on you. The slightly blue tinge on his cheeks told you so. Since shade's didn't have blood, they were just souls with a resemblance to their living body basically, blush wasn't red like blood was. Instead blue as it was an emotional reaction in the soul when you were a shade, nor a bodily function.

"I'm just teasing, but you're a gorgeous boy L, I'd take my chances if you were up for it" you giggled.

You would? Wait was that a confession? No it was just a compliment... but at least he knew it was on the table. Something told him that you knew he was nervous and still figuring things out, and so you were waiting until he was comfortable. He appreciated that. It was clear the feelings were mutual, and both of you knew the fates had drawn you closer. But having died so recently L was still processing things and needed a little longer to settle into it, so you'd wait for him as long as it took.

As long as you could have fun messing around on the surface together, that was all that mattered.

"Hey, look he's going the other way" you spoke, snapping L from his flustered daze.

Sure enough, Lights usual route was different this time, and he'd turned into a different hallway. Before L could say anything he felt you grab his hand and pull him along next to you as you followed your suspect.

"Come on let's not loose him"

He looked down at your hand gripping his, more blue tinging his cheeks. He was holding your hand... even though you were both dead and existed as shades, it was soft. Cold since you were dead, but soft to the touch. The slight transparency you both had made him able to see straight through your clutched hands, but he was still able to see your fingers laced together with his in detail.

It made his heart flutter.

It was almost like as soon as he realised he was in love, everything you did made him more and more head over heels and flustered. Eurydice was right, Eros shot his ass with that love arrow hard.

"What's he doing?" You spoke.

When you stopped in the same empty study room as Light, you both watched him take out his phone and call someone. L was too focused on the fact you hadn't let go of his hand through...

"Hey, I'm in the usual spot... ok... yeah I have it... alright see you in a minute" Light spoke.

What was going on? A few moments after he hung up, the door opened and in walked another person. This person was a girl, short black hair and dressed rather business casual.

Was this the Takada person.

"So... you're trusting me with this?" She spoke.

"I am, I'm too close to the taskforce at the moment so it's safer if it's away. But remember I still have paper from the book and if you dare say anything..." Light began.

"I know, I wouldn't dare"

To your utter disbelief, Light pulled his shirt off and underneath it was a corset, from that corset he pulled... the death note.

"He fucking had it the who time? Under his damn clothes?" You sighed in frustration.

"What's with the cabaret gear?" L snickered.

"Probably so no one could see the outline of the book under his shirt. But ugh... that book probably ended up half in his pants"

"I don't think I wanna touch it"

Light handed the book to Takada and put his shirt back on. Thank god, you didn't need to see him half naked.

"Just as I explained before, make sure no one can figure out the holder is a different person" Light said.

"Got it, thank you for trusting me" Takada replied.

"Yeah... you're welcome"

That sounded... so fake. So manipulative. You could see L cringe at the sound of Lights tone. And as if he wasn't bad enough, he left Takada with a clearly one sided kiss.

"Wow... he's cheating on Misa? He is LUCKY to have a girl like Misa and he's really throwing that away huh?" You scoffed.

"He doesn't care for anyone, especially not either of the girls. They probably don't even know about each other yet" L said, ticked off.

Man Light was such an ass, no wonder L hated him so much.

"Let me tell you baby boy, if I ever got me a goth boy I'd never throw them away like that. Light is insane" you said.

"You wouldn't?" L replied.

"Absolutely not, you can be my goth boy" you teased.

You liked teasing him, just to watch him get flustered, it was so cute.

"Good to know... good to know..."