Chapter 16 | surface level

Back up on the surface, L couldn't stop thinking about the dream he had. Surely it must mean something. There was one part in particular that was bothering him, not the fates since he knew full well they were probably at least somewhat involved. But the part about 'what happened to Hypnos'.

Thanatos was vague when he said it, like the chthonic gods don't really bring it up. And hades seemed to be angry about it since he mentioned not forgiving his brother. Did he mean Zeus or Poseidon?

What happened to Hypnos and left the Olympians and the underworld with a broken relationship?

"Hey (y/n)" L spoke up.

You looked up at him, while you were having way too much fun annoying Light by poking him and watching him freak out when he felt something touch him only to see there was nothing there.

"Do you know what happened between the underworld and Olympians?" He asked.

"No one does. It was very long ago before I was even born as a mortal. No one really talks about it, all I know is it was something bad enough to sever the ties between them" You replied.

"What would sever the ties between brothers? I mean Hades said that he'd 'never forgive his brother..."

"Hang on... how do you know this?"

You were rather intrigued as to how the hell L knew of the shattered relationship when he was only recently dead. Had someone told him?

"I had the weirdest dream last night. I was fully aware I was dreaming, no one could see me but I could see and hear everyone. It was like I was listening to a conversation that was happening while I was asleep. Thanatos was talking to Hades about it... then weirdly enough I came across Orpheus. I've never even met him in person only in that dream. We were dreaming at the same time it was so weird" He explained.

"Oh that's SO the work of the fates" you replied.

"That's what Orpheus said. Although I don't know what they were trying to tell me"

It was interesting that the fates clearly wanted L to know about the severed ties between the underworld and Olympians. Why exactly that was you had no idea but it was clear to you that they wanted him to know the full story.

"I think they want you to find out what happened. Dunno why, maybe it'll give us an answer to the Kira situation. Or access to Olympian boons?" You suggested.

"Are the chthonic gods in contact with anyone on Olympus or are they all off limits?" L asked.

"Only Hermes since he's a messenger god and kind of has to come here to pass on messages. Although I don't think he was involved in what we happened because people seem to tolerate him"

Your conversation was suddenly interrupted when the sound of Lights phone went off, he picked it up and thanks to him being in the room alone he didn't think he was being listened to.

"Takada, what's going on?" He said.

"Takada..? I don't recall a Takada..." L said, suddenly interested.

You couldn't hear the person on the other end of the phone, but just from the name you could tell it was likely a girl.

"Uh-huh... no you're right..." Light spoke.

What was he talking about... who was Takada? Both you and L tried to get as close to the phone as you could to listen in but you couldn't figure anything out from the low volume.

"After the next lecture" light said.

"Lecture... probably someone from his university" L commented.