Chapter 26 | presence

A/n: idk what happened yesterday when the comments stopped working. Wattpad acting up again I guess hopefully it'll be fine this time tho :)

"Good riddance
To all the thieves
To all the fools that stifled me..."

That sounded familiar. That voice was all it known.

"They've come and gone
And passed me by
Good riddance
To all"

The string instrument sounded like it needed a little more practice, but otherwise the musician was ok.

"Farewell
To all the earthly remains
No burdens
No further debts to be paid"

Hang on what was going on? Who was singing and where were they? It sounded almost like... L?

"Atlas
Can rest his weary bones
The weight of the world
All falls away
In time..."

The scenery unfolded before the sleeping man, a haze around the edges of his vision. Was he dreaming? The voice, it WAS L. He was sitting on a very comfortable looking lounge with a lyre, reading sheet music. Although something was off about him. He looked... see through? And since when did he wear robes and a sleep mask? There was something in particular he noticed though, the two badges on his shoulders that held the cloaked part of the robes up. They were shiny, golden and had a red symbol on them... one that seemed familiar.

"Have I even tuned this right? Maybe I should ask Orpheus... he wrote the song after all..." L mumbled, reading the sheet music before him.

He kept his voice low, as off the side was a large bed with a sheer canopy over it. I'm laying in the blankets was someone the dreamer didn't recognise. A person with (h/c) hair, (s/c) skin, wore similar robes to L and was fast asleep. L plucked the strings of the lyre, listening and reading the sheet music over again, trying to see if it was tuned correctly.

"Damnit this is harder than it looks..." he sighed.

As if things couldn't get any stranger, L suddenly looked up and right into the eyes of the dreamer as if he were standing right in front of him.

"You know you should have trusted me right? A hard case is like learning a new instrument. You don't know anything until you notice the patterns and get the hang of things, right... Aizawa?" 

Wait- hang on was this a dream? L was dead but he was talking directly to him? And who was the other person?

"You have to look closely. Keep those you suspect close, if they trust you they might just slip up, and you'll spot something crucial"

L's voice it... it was morphing. Going from his usual deadpan one, to a more echo-y one. The pitch got higher sounding more feminine.

"Look around yourself. Look closer..."

As he spoke, the world around him began to morph into something that resembled a night sky, and soon L himself seemed to shift into another person. Three of them. Three girls, all shrouded in cloaks, the one in the centre held an orb of some kind and the two beside her held weaving tools. 

"You're on the right path, don't look back-"

With a sudden gasp of confusion, he woke up. As he shot up he hit his head on the shelf above him, having fallen asleep on the desk.

"AH! Son of a bitch-" Aizawa groaned, rubbing his head were he hit it.

"You alright Aizawa?" Cheif Yagamis voice said.

He turned to look around him and found that he was still in taskforce, having fallen asleep on the desk mid investigation. Wouldn't be the first time though...

"Aizawa?"

"Oh! Yeah yeah I'm fine. Just... had a really weird dream" he replied.

"Don't overwork yourself. I know we're limited for helpers on the case but if you stress yourself out it'll just make matters worse" Cheif Yagami said.

"Yeah you're right, I'll finish this and then I should head home for the day. You know see the wife and daughter and all..."

Turning back to the desk he couldn't help but wonder what the actual hell was just up with that dream? It seemed so vivid and he remembered every second. Unlike most dreams where the details get fuzzy as you wake up. Who was the other person? The three cloaked girls? Why was L playing the lyre?

And that symbol seemed so familiar...

Suddenly something clicked into place, and he reached into his pocket and pulled out that coin he'd found on L's grave. Just as he thought, it was the same symbol. After looking at the coin I'm disbelief for a moment he grabbed the keyboard and mouse of the computer and began to look for any kind of information.

You see if he didn't know that shinigami and death notes existed he probably wouldn't have even freaked out about a strange dream and a coin. He'd just chalk it up to weird coincidence and leave it at that, but the fact this Kira situation was more than just human made him wonder.

After trying a few key worlds and coming up with nothing, he tried a different description of the symbol and finally came up with something.

The emblem of the house of hades, used to signify the underworld in Greek mythology. Coins were paid to the boatman of the river Styx, Charon in order for a soul to be taken to hades. Which is why ancient Greece and similar cultures, coins were placed in the bodies mouth when buried. Myth says that if a soul doesn't have a coin with their body, Thanatos will leave one on the grave to pay the fare, and get paid back at some point in the souls afterlife.

These coins were embellished with the house of hades emblem and called Obles. Myth says that those who've committed crimes will be sent to Tartarus, those who lives normal lives will be sent to Asphodel and heroes and those who've done good for the world will go to Elysium. Each ring of the underworld is separated by rivers, and it few are permitted to cross them. The underworld is said to be inescapable, one of the only escapes being that of Orpheus after the failed attempt as rescuing his wife Eurydice.

This only gave him more questions. What was a Greek object doing in Japan on a random guys gravestone? Even if it seemed to line up with the myth about boat fares... The death note says there's no afterlife though?

Unless... that's also a fake rule. Just like the 13 day rule. Perhaps to deter people from using the death note?

Looking down at the coin, and back up at the article showing a picture of the symbol it was clear without a doubt it was the same one. He found all these myths hard to believe, the logic side of him saying it's impossible. But... he did speak to and witness a shinigami, and saw the death note in person. Maybe it's not so unbelievable after all?

Most places around the world all have similar concepts in their mythology after all, just characters and stories slight changed to fit their time period and surroundings. Even if the Greek myths are real there's every chance that it's not JUST the Greek myths... again, shinigami existed and they're Japanese in origin.

Maybe there is an underworld, and it just so happened that the Greeks got the names of the people down there right?

Maybe Thanatos really did leave that coin on L's grave when he came to get his soul.

And that dream... those three cloaked girls at the end... were they some kind of god? Some sort of sorcerer?

Out of curiosity, he went back to google and looked up 'three Greek mythology woman dreams' thinking he'd not find much with such obscure keywords. But to his surprise, something did pop up.

The fates.