#1. Free! - MakoHaru) His Own Little World

Summary:
After the accident, Makoto slipped away from reality. He lives in his own little world, or so they say. Haruka has to watch his best friend fading away to live in his world of imagination.

Fandom: Free!
Ship: MakoHaru
Genre: Sick-Fic, Hospital AU, Angst
Warning: Comatose state character, sad

_____________________________

Authorsnote:

Hey there!

So, this was my VERY FIRST one shot... hihi.
After writing for almost four years, at the time, I had never done a one shot, but I just had the idea for this fanfiction and I thought it was too small to make it into multiple chapters like I normally do, and I was bored anyway, so here's my first one shot.

I hope you'll like it :)
If you do, I have more Free! fanfictions in this genre, but they're a little longer.

~ Noa

_________________________________________________

Staring down at Makoto's sleeping body is the worst, that's what Haruka thinks at least. Because Makoto isn't just asleep, he's off and away, not hearing Haruka's stories and unable respond to any of the thousand questions Haruka has asked him in the past years.

Makoto's been laying still like this for a long while now, but Haruka's never thought about leaving his best friend's side. He visits every day after school and he stays until it's so dark outside he can't stay a minute later.

He has to be there when Makoto wakes up, if Makoto wakes up.

Seeing him like this, tubes entering his throat and a heart monitor by his side to reassure everyone he's still alive, it hurts a lot. It has haunted Haruka ever since the accident happened and walking into Makoto's tiny hospital room will never get something Haruka can get used to.

The accident that had nearly taken away Haruka's best friend.

It happened when they were just kids.

They'd never thought a day at the beach would end so miserably, but sadly it did.

While they were playing in the shallow water Makoto suddenly got dragged away by a wave.

Haruka had screamed Makoto's name and searched for his best friend in the raging water, unable to find him quick enough.

The merciless ocean pulled Haruka under water as well, and he woke up in the hospital a few days later.

Haruka remembers waking up like it happened just yesterday, but instead it was four years ago, a few days after Makoto's 13th birthday. He remembers waking up to the bright lights so clearly, but what happened after has always been one big blurry memory to him as if it was all just a dream after all.

But it wasn't a dream; Makoto had really slipped into a coma, and the doctors had actually told Makoto's parents that he'd probably never wake up again.

Even though the doctors have told Haruka that the damage done to Makoto's brain is too severe that he could ever function like a normal seventeen year old several times, Haruka gave himself the important job to stay by Makoto's side. He'd fought for his best friend's live multiple times, like when they almost pulled the plug on Makoto a year ago. Haruka was the one speaking up and begging Makoto's grieving parents not to give up on their son.

"He will come back," Haruka kept telling himself through all the years he'd been by Makoto's side. But every time Makoto did open his eyes for a day or two, this happened once or twice a year, Makoto wouldn't be himself.