#67. Spy X Family) Count Your Blessings Instead Of Sheep

Summary:
On certain nights, Anya has a hard time falling asleep. Tonight is one of those nights. Fortunately, Loid has some good advice.

Fandom: Spy X Family
Ship: None
Genre: Family Fluff

_________________________

On certain nights, Anya has a hard time falling asleep. She used to have a lot of those nights when she was still at the orphanage. She could always hear the thoughts of whoever was still awake, and with so many children in one room, there was always someone still awake. Back then, she barely got any sleep on most nights.

That's different now that she has a safe place to stay and an important mission to attend to in the morning. There's no time for lying awake at night. Still, there are nights when she just cannot find the rest to just close her eyes and drift off and away to dreamland.

Tonight is one of those nights; a night where the evening was so stressful, where Loid tried to explain her her homework. He just gets so frustrated with Anya, and she can't even blame him for getting angry with her. She just cannot understand. She feels so stupid. And useless. And the thoughts of ruining Loid's entire mission keep her wide awake.

"Sixty, sixty-one, sixty-two," she whispers. Her eyes are squeezed shut and, on the black canvas created by her closed eyelids, she tries imagine sheep jumping over a fence. It's something the man of the orphanage had told her to do when she came out of bed one day; she wasn't allowed to leave her bed, and certainly not the room, but she got so scared by the man's thoughts about how he was never going to be able to keep the orphanage going. She was so afraid of having to leave it, because even though it was terrible there, at least she didn't have to live out on the streets. So, she sneaked downstairs, told the man that she couldn't sleep. She got yelled at and scolded, before being send back upstairs with the assignment " just count sheep or something, anything, but do not leave your bed again".

So, that's what she did; she crawled back under her blankets, closed her eyes and started counting sheep. When she counted ten sheep, nine times in a row, she finally dozed off. The man's assignment had worked, and it worked a charm ever since.

Now, Anya has already counted to one-hundred once, and she's at sixty-three more. She is still so wide awake. Maybe it's because she wonders how, when she can count so well, she still cannot seem to do any math, no matter how hard she tries. And while Loid doesn't say it right to her face, Anya knows he thinks her writing is even worse than her math-skills.

She is going to ruin this mission. The world is going to end. All because Anya is dumb.

Those thoughts, just don't leave her head, no matter how many sheep jump over that fence flawlessly. Tonight, Anya might as well give up; she is not going to get any sleep.

She opens her eyes, staring at the white ceiling for a bit. Then she turns to the clock, the long hand is pointed all the way up the sky and the small one is on the one. She's not sure what that means, but her achy eyes and tired mind tell her that it is way too late for her to be up.

She's not the only one who's awake. She when she concentrates, she can hear Loid's thoughts through the walls. He, too, is having a hard time because of Anya's homework. Somewhere Anya hopes that he sounds so stressed out because he thinks her math assignments are tough, but they both know that it's because Anya doesn't understand them at all is what's scaring him. She bets he's staring at the ceiling right now and tomorrow his eyes will look so tired; that's just what happens when Loid lays awake at night. He is always very frustrated when that happens and he can get mad with Anya a lot quicker. But she can't blame him, she knows she isn't the kindest either when she's wide awake, up thinking, all night.

When she hears Loid thinking something about how he shouldn't focus on all that bad stuff, Anya wonders what he means by that. She wants to know what will keep his mind off of all what's going on, but all she hears is Loid trying to convince himself not to think about the terrible things that could go wrong. He's failing, only seeming to get more and more stressed.