#7. Gintama) This Is Why There Are So Few Christmas Episodes

Summary: This year, Gin hadn't heard of any anime planning to do a Christmas special. Even Gintama slacked off this winter!
No Christmas episode for Odd Jobs and co.

Fandom: Gintama
Ship: None
Genre: Comedy, Found Family, Christmas special

_____________________________

Hey there!

Merry Christmas!
I'm going to keep this short;
Just enjoy this little Christmas special, no matter what time of year it may be when you read this I've tried my best to get you in the Christmas spirit anyway!

~ Noa

__________________________________________________

Why do so many anime not have a Christmas episode?

That was the question that Gintoki asked himself while he was staring at his living room's ceiling.

This year, at the time everyone needed Christmas specials more than anything, Gin hadn't heard of any anime planning to do one.

Nor were there any announcements of manga or comics getting a volume dedicated to the most famous holiday this winter, which would mean Gin would have the grimmest Christmas so far. It would be even worse than the cold winters Gin had spend fighting during the Joui War; at least they did something to celebrate Christmas back then, like soaking their clothes in crimson.

He had thought about re-watching some specials of earlier years, because there surely had to be some he hadn't watched yet, right? Wrong!

At that moment, when Gin closed his eyes and tried to think of all the anime that had done a good Christmas special in the past, he realized that he could remember only few.

Of course, there had been many episodes where one of the unimportant side-characters made a comment that suggested that it should be sometime around Christmas, or things like seeing a Christmas tree or someone wearing a Santa outfit could tell you that the holiday was being held. Yet, those episodes wouldn't have anything to do with Christmas itself, which just made it another normal episode.

They were just build up that way so they could be watched at any time of the year, because how many people actually watched Christmas episodes on Christmas?

But that's not the point of a Christmas special; it shouldn't be less Christmas-y just so people can watch it whenever. It has to be fully dedicated to Christmas and make people feel like they're celebrating the holiday even when they're watching the special in the middle of summer.

Like this; you're probably reading this nowhere near Christmas, but it doesn't matter because you'll still feel like it's December and time to celebrate.

All Gin wanted was something to do as Christmas got closer, to get in the good spirit for the holiday they only celebrated once a year. But he had already seen all the real Christmas specials and it was not like stores would sell old manga volumes just so people had something festive to read.

Gin was annoyed and maybe a little sad, but most of all confused about the absence of the fun and heartwarming short stories about setting up trees, buying people presents and drinking so much that your hangover lasted at least a week. Who didn't love to see their favorite characters get all cute and clingy with friends or family while they eat enough to last them for an entire year?

Wondering what Kagura and Shinpachi were planning to do for their special this year, Gin got up and dragged himself all the way to Kagura's room. Even though it was already three in the afternoon, the redhead was still lost in deep dreams.