#40. Free!/Breakers Crossover) Some People Need To Break Just To Be Fixed

Summary: When Haru suddenly loses his arm in an accident, he's convinced he'll have to stop swimming for good. Makoto's unable to see his best friend this way, and decides that something has to change.
When Makoto suggests Haru takes lessons from some younger Paralympic swimmer, Haru might call him crazy at first, but they both know it; the young Taku could be Haru's road back to fun and success.

Fandom: Free! & Breakers
Ship: None
Genre: Disabled character AU, Hurt/Comfort, Angst, Fluff

_______________________________

Authorsnote:

Hey There!

So, I finished the anime "Breakers" yesterday, and IT IS AMAZING! I'll do my entire fangirling in the end note, but just because I feel like not many of have seen Breakers and are here for Free! I'm just going to give you some background-information.

Taku Yamamoto is a paralympic champion in swimming. Taku was born without his left forearm, but that doesn't mean he's not an amazing swimmer. He's always been on about the same level as his childhood friend Tomo, who is just a regular swimmer.
I'll be using those two characters that appear in episode 13 to 16 of "Breakers". And obviously this can easily be read if you haven't actually seen "Breakers", because since I know this is anything except a popular show, I'll give you enough explinations throughout the story. Don't you worry ^^

That being said, let's start!

~ Noa

________________________________

Within the blink of an eye, Haru's life got turned upside down.

To today, he still doesn't know what exactly happened. He just remembers an excruciating pain just above his elbow and flashes of white as he got dragged further down into the depths of unconsciousness. Next thing he knew he was laying on the pavement, which felt like it was burning his skin while freezing it at the same time.

Emergency care was being given to him in that moment, but all Haru could think of was why he couldn't feel his left arm all of a sudden. Sure, every part of his body felt slightly numb, but his arm felt absent.

He remembers how quick his heart was racing and how, after getting a glance at the bloody bandages that they were using around his arm, he slipped away from reality.

Everything's about that day's still a blur.

Makoto told him a little about what happened, but there wasn't much to talk about; Haru wouldn't be swimming anymore and that was all that seemed to matter to the doctors and nurses that took care of Haru's wounds for the three months that he spend in the hospital.

It's not every day that your arm gets separated from your body, so it's not strange that Haru almost died that day.

It was a traumatic amputation, or so the doctors kept calling it; meaning that his lower left arm was severed from body because of the car's weight. It got so badly crushed and cut that they didn't have any other than to surgically amputate it in the ambulance ride to the hospital.

Even though Haru can't remember anything of this ride, he can see in Makoto's eyes that he did see more than he had wanted to. Apparently, Makoto had been with him the entire ride, holding Haruka's good arm and he anxiously screamed in pain.

But all Haru remembers now, is waking up in the hospital and getting a glance at the appalling lump of flesh that abruptly ended his left arm. It just stopped, just above where his elbow had previously been. It looked weird and surreal, and Haru had a strong repulsion towards it.