#46. Kuroko No Basket) A Team's True Power

Summary: The generation of miracles knew all about Tetsuya.
But his new team? They know him as one of their strong male players, not as Tenshi the previous, female, manager of the Teiko middle school basketball club. And now... he feels like it's time to tell them who he really is, to make them a real team and unleast their true power.

Fandom: Kuroko No Basket
Ship: None
Genre: Fluff, Mild Angst, Transgender AU

______________________________________

As a team, you think you know everything about each other; not just someone's height, age, abilities, personality, but literally everything. You think you're connected in such a deep way, because you're not just friends but teammates. You have to rely on each other all the time.

Tetsuya knows this very well, since he's been the glue that tied the team of the generation of miracles together. But that was different; they actually knew everything about him.

They didn't particularly like the truth about Tetsuya, and Tetsuya wish they didn't know so much about him either, but they did know they could trust on him to be open to them.

That all changed when Tetsuya went to Seirin, away from his old team, where he started off as the person he'd turned into throughout his time at Teiko middle school.

He started out as that one guy who had low presence, even to his team, now that he wasn't such an eye-catching phenomenon anymore. He liked this, of course – Hell, he loved it – but it did feel weird that he hadn't told his team, and Kagami most of all, who he really was.

His previous team, no matter how distant they acted towards each other, had known this about Tetsuya pretty much from the start. It is not your usual basketball team-building experience when you find yourself a sportive and most of all eye-catching, manager with long pale blue hair and bright blue eyes and a massive passion for basketball. And then, after just a couple of months, she's not your manager anymore, because now she's playing in the field along with the rest of the male basketball team. That is, because now, she cut off all of her long locks, she stopped wearing eyeliner and dresses. She changed her name and her pronouns, and before the team realized it, another prodigy had joined their team. Sure, at that point, Tetsuya still looked much like a girl on a man's team, but fortunately no one really noticed as there were such brighter prodigies on the field.

That was how the Teiko basketball team knew Tetsuya; as the chick the asked to be their manager, because apparently a manager has to be both sportive and model-like, who eventually ended up being the small and not-so-present guy who kept their team together.

And now, this doesn't feel like Tetsuya's back-story anymore.

That's because, near the end of middle school, Tetsuya made it more than clear to his old team; the next time he'd join a basketball team, he'd be joining them as a man, one seen as a powerful force.

Over summer he practiced lowering his voice and bought tight sport bras to substitute for binders, so play without fainting or it just plainly being terrible for his overall health.

Due to the testosterone he started taking the day he turned sixteen, he even made a small-but-noticeable grow spurt and through daily training with some of his old team's members, he managed to perfect his style of basketball; he even developed some muscles in the process as well.

The moment summer was over, he joined Seirin. He applied for the team as a player, one of the guys, instead of a manager this time. His old self, the stranger girl staring back at him whenever he looked in the mirror for the first years of his life, he has left behind, just like anyone would do when they were stuck in a body not their own for literally their entire youth.