#18. Fruits Basket - Tohru/Kyo) The Struggles of Teenagers and Their Haircuts

Summary: No school, free time for yourself only, sounds like heaven... right? Not really... Kyo and Yuki keep getting into fights and Tohru's only getting more poor with every day that goes by. And then there's that stupid long hair with it's split ends; it just needs to be cut, no matter what.

Fandom: Fruits Basket
Ship: Tohru/Kyo
Genre: Quarantaine AU, Fluff, Mild Angst

part of Shipbruary 2021!

__________________________________

It all started about a year ago, in the early spring months of 2020.

Suddenly all school was canceled and everyone was forced to stay inside. At first it sounded like music in Tohru's ears; she wouldn't have to go to class and since it wasn't her choice to not show up to work she'd even be paid a part of her normal money.

They considered themselves lucky. Especially the Sohma's of the household, since they didn't have to worry about running into girls that weren't Tohru. Neither did they have to deal with Akito's sudden gatherings anymore. And since everyone's health goes before family problems even Kyo, whose future didn't look too bright before the lockdown, suddenly felt like he might grow strong enough to beat Yuki now that there was a grant delay on being locked up for the rest of his life.

Everything seemed rose colored... too rose colored.

Sadly, she soon found out quarantine wasn't as fun as it initially seemed.

Kyo and Yuki kept getting into fights all the time, because both of them were cranky about being near each other twenty-four seven. Tohru's payment stopped arriving after only two months of quarantine had passed. And not so long later even Shigure started to get stressed about not earning enough money, because he couldn't concentrate on writing with Kyo and Yuki's constant yelling.

The world felt like it was playing in a loop; constantly repeating the same activities every single day, and that for an entire year, and everyone slowly started feeling like they were going crazy.

That why when this morning, not long after Tohru woke up a different conflict than usual unfolded, she felt relieved instead of worried; she wasn't stuck in a time loop after all.

It'd been completely silent in Shigure's house for the entire morning, since the guys had been sleeping until later ever since school got canceled. Tohru was just making breakfast for the entire Sohma household and herself when the screaming started.

It sounded like any other fight, but Tohru now knows something else is going on. Normally Kyo and Yuki yell about the other being in their personal space, causing each other headaches and an extremely bad mood. But today's fight starts with the literal sentence, "You look like a girl!"

Tohru almost drops a plate, his voice is so loud even when it's pretty early. Fortunately for them they live in the middle of nowhere, otherwise they'd definitely have problems with their neighbors.

"Have you looked in the mirror lately?" Yuki replies, his voice louder than usual. "You're starting to look like master with your hair in a long ponytail like that!"

Kyo scoffs loudly before asking whether that was supposed to offense him. "Because with your girly face and long hair you look like Ayame, which I think is far worse than looking like master!"

Tohru knows the last thing Kyo told him must've really hurt Yuki's feelings, because not long after, they both storm into the kitchen. Both of them are still bickering when they turn to Tohru and simultaneously ask, "Can you cut our hair?"

Tohru looks at the guys as they beg her to get out the scissors and finally chop off the hair that's been growing out for an entire year. All of the hairdressers are closed and even if someone would be able and allowed to professionally cut their hair, they'd still be taking a big risk of getting infected; they couldn't do that, especially with Yuki's poor immune system and asthma.