#13. Free! - MakoHaru) Toddlers, Tubs and Other Trouble

Summary: The universe doesn't seem to want Haruka and Makoto to be dating; when Makoto finally has confessed his feelings to his best friend, a magic force tries to seperate them.
Makoto finds his best friend in the bathroom, the only difference is that Haruka now is a toddler... and their relationship? Well...

Fandom: Free!
Ship: MakoHaru-ish
Genre: Age Regression AU, Fluff

part of Shipbruary 2021!

_____________________________________

Sometimes two people aren't meant to be together.

For years Makoto was convinced that this was what applied to him and his best friend Haruka. Makoto had been in love with Haruka from as soon as he was able to fall in love. Haruka had been his only crush ever, and also the reason why Makoto knew he'd never find the girl his parents and siblings were hoping for. For him, Haruka was the one and only.

But they'd been friends for so long and Haruka hadn't shown any signs of having feelings for Makoto.

That was until about a week ago. Makoto finally gathered the courage to come out to Haruka, he'd be the first to know about Makoto not being completely straight.

Haruka's reaction was much better than Makoto could've asked for, because instead of asking, "But you won't like me, right?" Haruka just told Makoto he wasn't into girls himself.

Makoto got more hope, maybe the universe didn't want to keep them apart completely. So yesterday Makoto told Haruka that he's had a crush on Haruka for quite a while, and today? It's their first day as boyfriends. The thought of it almost scared Makoto when he woke up this morning.

Boyfriends huh? He thinks to himself as he walks towards Haruka's house in the cold morning air. He wonders if it will change anything about how they'll see each other.

Will they get to kissing right away like they do in the movies, or would someone as calm and shy as Haruka rather spend a while only holding hands? Will they still be the same as they were when they were just best friends? Or will they feel totally different about each other?

All the questions scare Makoto a little bit, because he kind of wants everything to stay the same for the most part. At least he's still allowed to pick Haruka up at his house so they can get to school.

He knocks on the front door, even though he knows Haruka won't open it after doing this every morning for basically their entire school life.

He goes inside, because of course Haruka hasn't locked his front door.

With the water running in the bathroom, it sounds like he's still in bath as usual. But Makoto's kind of freaked out when he sees water soaking most of the wooden floor in the hallway; Haruka would never in his entire life let the water spill over the edge of his bath like that.

"Haruka?" Makoto asks worriedly. He takes off his shoes and socks before stepping through the water and towards the bathroom. "I'm coming in okay? What the heck happened here?" he asks as he ducks underneath the little curtain.

What he finds there isn't quite what he expected; the floor is soaked, because the entire bath has been filled up with water and the tap is still running at full velocity. And in that clear water a little puddle of yellow erupts in the water, in the middle of that puddle Haruka sits silently.

"H-Haruka?" Makoto mumbles, confused by how small his boyfriend has suddenly gotten; did the water cause him to shrink? Makoto knew Haruka shouldn't stay in the bath all night every day.

But the strangest of all is that the Haruka Makoto has known his entire life would never pee in water. Water is too god-like to Haruka, the only water that deserves peeing on is that in the toilet.