#17. Run With The Wind - Kakeru/Haiji) Broken Body Swap

Summary: Kakeru ends up in Haji's body... how? He has no clue. All he knows is that he wants to get back in his own.

Fandom: Run With The Wind
Ship: Kakeru/Haiji
Genre: Angst, Body Swap AU

part of Shipbruary 2021!

_________________________________

It's not every day that Kakeru wakes up with a massive ache. Not even when he's been outside for a multiple hour long run, he hasn't experienced muscle aches in literal years.

Still, this morning his body manages to wake him up earlier than usual. The pain in his leg is excruciating, not just a normal ache, but more like he broke something inside his right leg while training yesterday. He wasn't even running at full speed, so there's no way.

Kakeru winces at the extreme pain when he turns underneath his blankets. Anger rises deep inside of him; it's all Haiji's fault, if he hadn't pushed Kakeru into joining his stupid track and field team he wouldn't be feeling this pain right now.

He needs to tell Haiji he'll quit, there's no way he'll continue running if this pain will hurt this much.

He nods to himself before opening his eyes wide; he's going to tell that to Haiji now.

At first Kakeru's too focussed on getting his knee to stop being this stiff and painful, so he barely notices the difference in how his room looks. He usually isn't sleeping in a dorm room this fancy. It's clearly a room still in the Kansei dormitory, but this is not Kakeru's bedroom.

"What the—" he whispers to himself, but his voice doesn't even remotely sound like his own.

He frowns at the strange sounding voice that can't be his own and rubs his eyes; maybe it's just because he's not really woken up enough. Everyone's voice sounds different in the morning, right?

He gets up to start stretching his leg when he sees the plaid sweatpants he's only ever seen on someone else. Kakeru never would wear such odd pants, but Haiji would.

His breath gets stuck in his throat when a strange thought enters his brain like a brick flying through a window. He knows it's an absurd way of thinking, but he needs to see with his own eyes he's wrong.

He saunters to the bathroom, wincing with every step he takes. And when he reaches the mirror his body stiffens and his heart sinks. He stares into, not his own, but Haiji's eyes.

"Shit," he whispers, leaning weakly on the edge of the sink. "You have to be kidding me."

Those big brown eyes and that slender face, they don't belong to Kakeru, but they're Haiji's.

Just on cue there's a knock on the door. Startling Kakeru to death, because what if someone sees him and thinks he's really Haiji; no matter how you look at it, he's nothing like Haiji.

"Uh- can I come in?" someone asks.

Kakeru's eyes double in size when he recognizes his own voice coming from the other side of the door. When he opens it, he's staring right at himself, but he knows it's not him inside of that body.

"Wow." His own two eyes are glaring at him, his own mouth is gaping. "Kakeru, is that you? Oh god, what have we done! What happened?" Haiji, in Kakeru's own body, starts pacing up and down the bathroom. He's sighing and whispering and clearly just as stressed out as Kakeru.

He suddenly turns to Kakeru, staring at him with the grey eyes Kakeru normally only sees in pictures and mirrors, and points. His smile is vague and kind of creepy when Haiji says, "I know what this is!"

"What?" Kakeru asks, sounding less cold when he's using Haiji's voice.

Haiji smiles wide, which Kakeru wish he wouldn't do with his face because it gives him the creeps. Then Haiji tells him he knows that all of this is one big dream.