#66. BNHA - Shouto/Deku) Under All That Angst And Anger Is A Dying Broken Heart

Summary:
According to the heroes, villains are the bad guys.
They steal, hurt and break people's lives apart.
For all his life, Izuku believed this.

But when Izuku stands face to face with one of their country's biggest villains, he can't help but see the pain in the wounded murderer's heart. He can't help but feel that this killer isn't the villain. He's the victim.

Fandom: Boku No Hero Academia
Ship: TodoDeku
Genre: Villain AU, Hurt/comfort

__________________________________

"Breaking news: Killer of Flame Hero Endeavor's on the loose again." The tinny voices on the television and radio have been broadcasting it all day long. This night, a couple of minutes before midnight, villain Shouto Todoroki has escaped from prison after being locked up there for a little under ten years. He was supposed to have a lifetime, but broke out of his cell decades too early.

Izuku still remembers the day clearly, one of their country's best heroes, Endeavor, fell. Died to the hands of his youngest son, when the kid was barely nine years old.

Even though Izuku wasn't much older than the killer at the time the explosion, caused by such cruel cold-bloodedness, he'd seen on the news were never erased from his mind. That riled up feeling of wanting to fight against murders like that, might've been put to rest throughout Izuku's fairly normal life, but seeing this on the news gets him all worked up again.

His eyes are fixated on the headshots taken from the prisoner a couple of years ago. His hands move automatically as he sews together a uniform for one the UA students, who are all getting ready to become the new heroes of this time. In a couple of years, it'll be their task to deal with ruthless killers like the youngest of the Todoroki family.

The fire of a true hero that still burns inside of Izuku, but he never got to go to the school he now daily makes costumes for. As a mere tailor, all he can do is make these heroes costumes to keep them safe from harm. He cannot fight back. Not by using a quirk, at least, his body just isn't made for that, but that doesn't mean that in his heart he is fighting along with those people that safe his city each and every day.

He jumps up at the sound of a phone echoing through the empty shop. Izuku winces when his needle pierces through the tip of his finger. Blood forms a small glowing red drop on his skin. "Again?" Izuku mutters to himself, putting his finger in his mouth. Sometimes he feels like he should learn from his mistakes; after poking holes in his fingers each and every time he zones out, he should've learned not to pay attention to anything but his sewing by now.

The phone rings a second time, its shrill sound causing Izuku's ears to ache. He reminds himself that he should really get that changed, so it doesn't annoy him with each new order that is placed, before picking up the phone. "Midoriya's tailoring business, you're speaking with Izuku Midoriya, how can I be of service to you?" he sums up, almost unconscious; after having the store to his own for over a year now, he's grown accustomed to helping out customers.

"Oh, Izuku!" He doesn't need long to recognize the relieved voice on the other end of the line. "I'm so glad you're okay!"

"Mom?" he frowns, she barely ever calls. Only if she has important news, or whenever she feels like Izuku might have important news. So, he wonders why she's calling now. "Why wouldn't I be okay?"

"Didn't you hear about the prison break?"

Oh, that's why. He smiles, relieved that she doesn't have personal bad news for him.

"I mean, you are so close to the prison where he was being held," she continues. "Are you sure it's safe to be there when-" She swallows audibly. "you know-"