#10. Free!) Just Hang on A Little Longer

Summary: I stare at the snow and how my feet don't even leave footsteps behind; that's how unimportant I am. I swing one leg over the railing and look down into the abyss that is waiting for me.
I'm not crying; the other guy, who's also ready to jump, is.
"Just hang on a little longer!"

Fandom: Free!
Ship: None
Genre: Angst
Warning: Implied/Referenced Suicide. PLEASE READ WITH CAUTION!

_____________________________

Authorsnote:

Hey There!

So, this idea came to me after listening to "Watashi No R" on repeat (yes I am okay) and just really needed to write this story!
I hope it worked out like I wanted to, especially since I myself - fortunately - have little to no expierence with suicidal thoughts. But I've spoken to many people who have, and I have amazing a couple of amazing friends who do deal with it from time to time, so I have a slight idea of what it's like, but not at all in a way that would make me feel the same.
Neither did I ever write about something like this before, since I thought many people would find the subject too heavy; after a looooong hesitation, I wanted to try, still.

I repeat; I am okay, and this is NOT based on (personal) real events!

____________________________________________________

Silence is all that will come from me now; my last words are already written down on paper.

I'm on my way to the roof, with pain in my legs and an ache in my heart. Before I push through the door, I hesitate for a moment, because what if this is the wrong choice and I shouldn't be doing this.

It's not like there's anything to go back to; there's nothing left to do.

So I push though the door.

Cold wind brushes past my cheeks, it causes my short hair to flutter in the wind.

I saunter over the flat rooftop with my head held low. I stare at the snow and how my feet don't even leave footsteps behind; that's how unimportant I am.

At first I feel sad and maybe even a little scared about what I'm going to do, but by the time I reach the railing I feel nothing but empty.

I don't feel fear when I take my shoes off and step of the lowest rail, ready to climb over it. Hell, I don't even feel anything when I hear sobbing; it must all be in my head anyway.

It must be what my mind likes me to think off before I throw myself off a thirty story high building; it wants me to think of the people that'll mourn me. Little does my mind know that the only person that cares about me is my best friend, and he moved to Tokyo without even bothering to see if I was okay with that.

I swing one leg over the railing and look down into the abyss that is waiting for me.

That's when the sobbing gets louder, and all of a sudden the iron in the palm of my hand starts shaking. I'm not crying; the guy hanging onto the railing for dear life, is.

"What the hell are you doing?" I yell on reflex, like you do when you see someone standing on the wrong side of the safety rail. "Don't do it, please! Don't jump!"

The guy turns around, tears blurring his vision and long red hair keeping me from seeing his face.

"Why are you up here?" he replies, seemingly just as confused about my presence as I was about his.

I shrug, climbing back towards the safe side of the railing, because I'm not doing it if that means I'll have to share the fame with another dumbass that fell off the roof.