#26. Death Note - Light/L) After A Loss Of Memory Light Could Finally Love

Summary: When Light wakes up one morning he's forgotten all about the fast couple of months. The only person he just wants to remember as soon as possible is the black haired weirdo who's eating sweets in the corner of the room.

Fandom: Death Note
Ship: Light/L
Genre: Amnesia AU, Fluff, Light Angst

part of Shipbruary 2021!

________________________________

It just happened.

One morning Light woke up not knowing anything; literally everything that had happened in the previous eighteen years of his life seemed blank for just a moment. He could talk and read and everything he probably learned in the past years was with him, he knew his age too, but other than that all the memories that must've come with all those years were nowhere to be found.

The moment where he knew nothing only lasted for about an hour and then gradually the memories of his identity, childhood and teenage-life started to come back to him over the course of the day.

But when he woke up the next morning the regaining of his memories had come to an abrupt stop; he could only remember everything up to his seventeenth, some random day at school.

He knew he's eighteen and that he was still missing multiple months of his life.

He decided to tell his parents he didn't remember a thing that happened over the course of last year, they took him to the hospital where he was basically told he had memory loss; not a surprise, obviously. But they also told Light they had no clue whether the memories he'd still hadn't regain would come back, though they did expect them to gradually come back to him over the next days, weeks, months or it could even last a year for a they knew.

With that useless information, Light was send back home; that was one month ago and he still doesn't remember a thing of the past months. Slowly but surely, he's starting to doubt it'll ever come back to him. But instead of sitting around and sulk Light today asks his father what he was doing the past year; maybe returning to doing the same activities he used to do will let Light remember.

"Well—" His father looks a little worried, scratching behind his ear like the question makes him a little uncomfortable. He takes a moment to think before taking a deep breath. "I guess I can tell you? You were helping out with an investigation at my work, on the mass murderer Kira."

"Kira?" Light asks, it sounds strangely familiar to him, though he doesn't remember any mass murders happening. "Is that something that started in the past months?"

His father nods, telling Light he can come back to the office if he wants. "I'm sure you can re-read the files on the investigation we've got so far." He pats Light on the shoulder. "You were of good help, so we really miss you at the office."

Light stares at his father and asks, "Can I really?" He's suddenly so hyped up about this thing, he's never been part of an investigation before... okay, technically he has, but not for as far as he can remember. So he can go there and experience it all over again.

Not long after his father told him about the investigation, they went to the place where they'd been holding it all this time. Light doesn't, in any way, recall being at this place ever. His memory's so poor, even as they literally walk into a room filled with people, Light cannot remember anything.

"Light is back," his father announces to the group of people. And they all turn around.

Obviously, seeing how confused and worried their faces look, his father told them about what was going on with the whole memory thing. But in the back, on a chair, is the only person who doesn't look surprised; he looks glad but also as if he expected Light to come back again.