#8. Free! - MakoHaru) Christmas isn't the Most Wonderful Time of The Year

Summary:
Another Christmas has arrived.
And this year it'll be different from any other Christmas... everything has become different after Haruka slipped into a vegetative state last year.
Sometimes Christmas isn't the most wonderful time of the year; especially when your best friend is stuck in total unawareness.
But that doesn't mean Makoto will do anything to make his special Christmas with Haruka a celebration of their close friendship!

Fandom: Free!
Ship: MakoHaru
Genre: Angst, Hospital AU, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort, Christmas special
Warning: It is fairly heavy angst! Please read with caution!

Christmas Special for "Sometimes Death Isn't Even The Worst To Possibly Happen." and/or "Some Things Cannot Be Fixed, They Can Only Be Carried."

______________________________

Authorsnote:

Hey There!

Merry Christmas!
Before you start, let me just give one quick disclamer - I'll stay with one only because it's Christmas;
be aware that this is not your usual fluffy romance Christmas special, so there will be no mercy on your heart!
(Just joking, I wrote this so there will always be some fluff and wholesomeness)

~ Noa

________________________________________________

Christmas morning feels like any other, really.

I wake up with a fuzzy mind, like everything is filled with clouds, and I feel like I'm still in a dream. Whatever nice dream I was having will be forgotten in no time, but I still have that awesome feeling in my veins when I've just woken up.

The same goes for today, even though I'd normally feel totally different on a Christmas morning. Previous years I would sit upright and realize what a wonderful day Christmas was going to be; I'd spend the morning playing with my siblings and by afternoon I'd often go to Haruka to wish him a Merry Christmas too; not this year though.

I smack my alarm clock and rub in my eyes, forcing myself to come back to reality.

There's not much time for myself, I only have ten minutes to put on some decent clothes and maybe down half a cup of coffee before Haruka's morning routine starts.

Ten minutes, I think to myself as I drag myself from my bed to the bathroom.

I splash some water in my face and, without even drying off, I put on a sweater. I grab the comb and brush my hair while on my way to the kitchen, where I not only make myself I cup of coffee, but I also gather all of Haruka's medication in a little plastic box.

And then, by the time I've taken three sips of my bitter coffee, the ten minutes have already passed; it's time for my day to actually come to a start.

I take the box of meds and stroll to the other room; Haruka's room.

The doors are still closed, because I never open them before I go in to wake up my best friend.

I knock on the door, saying, "I'm coming in." I pause, because on special days like today it's even harder to open the door, to let reality hit me all over again. "Okay?"

Sliding the door open is like opening another dimension, one that isn't the same from the one I grew up in. In the dimension that hides behind the door, Haruka isn't a swimmer anymore, he doesn't live on his own and he will never go to college.

And me? I take care of my best friend in this life.

I have my eyes closed when I open the door, because I want to spend a little longer in the fantasy world where I'll just be spending Christmas morning doing fun things with my friends and family.