Chapter 88: The Neko Planet

A/N

I can't believe it's been 4 years since the last update.

Shamefully, I've actually had this finished since 2020, I just couldn't find the strength to post it. I felt bad for having left everyone hanging for 2 years already, and also the world has been burning so I was kinda distracted.

The last chapters are already written, I will try to post them every week. I also finally backed up this fanfic to my Google Drive, I'm working on backing up my other books in case something happens to them. If you see a previous chapter "updated," just know that's me uploading stuff to the cloud lol.

If anyone does see this: thank you. It means so much that you stuck around. The support I've seen from you guys while I've been gone has been insanely humbling.

I do have a question for you all at the end of this chapter, so stay tuned for that! Otherwise, please, enjoy a very very late chapter.

~Rosa

• • • • •

Original writing date: September 23, 2019

• • • • • •

"{Y/N}.... where are you?" a familiar voice called out. You turned your head to see your mom striding towards you, her tail peeking out from her shirt. You were sitting in the backyard of a strange looking house in a small neighborhood you didn't recognize.

"I'm here!" you called out, waving frantically.

As she approached, you noticed her face was laced with worry. "(Y/N), where are you?! Please, come out from hiding!" her voice was frantic.

You were confused. You were only a few feet away and she was looking straight past you, turning her head as if trying to spot something. "Uh mom... I'm right he-"

"NOW IS NOT THE TIME FOR GAMES!!" she roared, interrupting you. It was then you realized the ghastly truth.

She couldn't hear you.

"Please... (Y/N)... don't do this to me..." you watched as your mom's eyes welled with tears.

"Mom! MOM! I'm right here, can't you see me? I'm right-"

And before you could finish your sentence, she walked right through you.

By the looks of it, she couldn't see you either.

You felt your own eyes fill with tears, mirroring your mother's. "Mom... I'm scared," you couldn't help but utter. You knew it was useless; you were invisible to her for the time being.

Your legs began moving before you could even think. One moment you were watching your mom, and the next moment you were tearing through the street as fast as your legs could take you. All around, you saw people just like you. People with ears, tails, claws; others were walking down the street carrying small cats in their bags. You saw one of them hop out of someone's hands and shift into a human. All around, it seemed, you were surrounded by nekos but your legs wouldn't stop running. You ran through all of them, like a ghost. Movement was a blur, your vision was a blur, you stopped hearing your heartbeat pound in your ears as your ears rang.

You felt everything start to fade into black as you heard your mom's cries in the distance.

*****

You woke up with a start. You knew that nightmares were supposed to be unsettling, but this particular dream was just plain old weird. Something about it felt.... familiar. And that was worrying. You managed to get to the office in one piece, but you couldn't stop thinking about the dream. What did it all mean?