Chapter 12: Gone

It would be best to listen to this song as you read it. (it's from the John Lewis commercial #ManOnTheMoon) It's a great song and will really portray the mood cast in this chapter.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

"What?!" You screamed. You bit your lip. This could not be happening.

"You're in the future!" A voice said.

"Then how come I can't see you?" You wondered aloud.

"Well," the voice began. "In the year 4000, all of us became, uh, ghost-like creatures, so you need to have the correct, uh, technology to see us."

You rubbed your head. "Wow, then I really am in the 41st century," You muttered. You felt tears rush into your eyes. There was so much you had wanted to do in the 31st century!

"Are you not amazed by our technology? Selected people can now live forever!" The voice said excitedly. You shook your head.

"I...I don't want to live forever." You confessed.

"What? Is our technology not good enough for you?!" The voice became angry.

"Look, I know as kids, everyone wanted to live forever. But I don't want to. If you live forever, you have friends and then you have to watch in agony as they grow older. You can never grow older, and you can never kill yourself when you're done with all the pain. I'd rather have a few good friends, possibly a husband or something, then I would die, like the average everyday life cycle." You felt bad for monologuing this year 4000 dude, but then again, what did you have to lose?

"Well, at least that is what I got from Doctor Who..." You mumbled quiet enough so the voice didn't hear you.

"You say strange words, young one." The voice replied quietly.

You smiled. "I am the oddball of my family." You said with a weak smile.

Your smile faded.

"But I want to go back! Please let me go back to the year 3000!" You quickly changed the subject.

"You cannot go back! Why would you want to anyway? The year 4000 has improved much!"

You sighed, tears coming again. You shoved them away by blinking rapidly.

"I had so much more that I wanted to accomplish in the year 3000." You gulped.

"Like what, if you don't mind me asking." the voice urged her.

"I...I wanted to apologize." Your voice got quiet at the end as you struggled to hold in your tears.

"Apologize? For what? Having a better future?"

"No, I wanted to apologize. To...a lot of people." You admitted.