Family

You laid on top of Damian as he read to you

You laid on top of Damian as he read to you. He was currently reading Dickens. Though you were more into horror, you enjoyed the free time with him. You could feel yourself drifting, nuzzling your head into his chest.

When you awoke, you could still feel Damian breathing beneath you. You gently grabbed his hand. His eyes slowly opened, and he smiled, opening his mouth to say something, but you cut him off by motioning to the table behind you.

You and Damian lay there for a while, listening to the conversation at hand, before you faked a yawn, rubbing your eyes.

"Ahhh..." you sat up, stretching your arms over your head.

"We were reading.." Damian began. "We must have fallen asleep. What's... What's going on?"

You internally scoffed at Damian's excuse.

"Oh? Who might this be?" A woman with short hair and fair skin asked.

You knew Samantha. She pissed you off like hell. Just something about her ticked you off, and you couldn't put your finger on it. Still, you bit through your anger.

"Hi, Samantha," you waved, a big smile on your face.

"Hi, Lorri!" She smiled back. "Is this young man your boyfriend?"

The question made both you and Bruce gasp as your jaws dropped. Damian stood off the couch.

"Yes. I'm Damian, Bruce's--"

"My ward," Bruce spoke quickly. "Well, he will be. Soon."

"Oh..." Samantha looked between you and Damian, before back to Bruce. "That's twice you've surprised me tonight."

"Damian, like Lorri, has had a difficult life and I don't want those vultures in the Press Corps getting to either of them," Bruce lied through his teeth.

Uh-huh. Sure. Being raised by Grace Victoria Smith was definitely not one of the best things that had ever happened to you. And, sure, the apartment was small, but your big sis always put food on the table, and always made sure you locked the windows when she went out on patrol. And Damian must have been tortured, treated like a prince in his cute little assassin group.

"So, we've been..."

"Keeping me a secret." Damian spat.

"Hey," you spoke softly. "It's not like that. It's just until the paperwork is finished. Then I'm sure Bruce will proudly announce you as the newest member of the family," You grabbed Damian's hand and smiled.

"Thank you, Lorri," Bruce gave you a pat on the head, and ruffled Damian's hair, leaving him scowling. "I should have told you, Samantha, but..."

"No, there's nothing to apologize for." Samantha smiled. "You've taken this unfortunate child and given him a chance at a better life. And I know the story of Lorri's hardworking mother and dead-beat father."