Just Kids

Holy fuck, this took way too long.

•••

You looked back as Lois hit the water of the pond, and looked to Jon, to provide him some small comfort.

"You think she's okay?" Jonathan asked.

"Yeah, she'll be okay," you smiled, patting his shoulder.

"Maybe we should-- AHHHHHHHH!"

Damian hit the gas, and you were pressed back into your seat.

You had to get that glass fixed ASAP.

"We need to lay low, examine the alien for weaknesses," Damian said.

"Damian, while that's a great idea, we're just kids! We don't have the resources. Not legally, anyways."

"Not to mention we don't even have an alien," Jon added.

Damian held up a test tube, with a writing limb of one of the star-shaped menaces. Jon yelped.

"Well, since that's that, we could go to S.T.A.R. Labs, Kord Tech?"

"No, no," Damian whispered. "They'll be compromised."

"Okay, then where?"

"I have an idea," Damian smirked.

"Oh, no."

•••

"Come on, lift with your knees!" Damian yelled.

"Can you stop that, please? He's trying his best," while you watched Jon worriedly.

"I'm kind of new to this super strength thing, just give me a minute!" Jon strained.

"Sure," Damian slouched back against the plane. "Every minute we waste here the world is being over run by murderous starfish, but take your time."

"What?" Jon yelled while straining.

"Take your time! You're doing great."

"God, how does Day do it?"

"How is Witch Girl, and her little boyfriend, too?"

You rolled your eyes.

"Ever since M'gann broke up with Lagoon Boy, Conner's been... having second thoughts about her. It's really sad."

Damian slid down the plan, and landed in the snow next to you. You had your jacket zipped up all the way, hands shoved into your pockets. You had already pulled your hand warmers out of your utility belt.

"Okay, okay, okay! I got it! I got it! I got it!"

"Way to go, Jon!" You called. "Now just throw it in the key hole!"

He strained a bit more, and it landed in the hole.

"Yes! Oh, did you see that?! Who's the man? I'm the man."

"Great job," Damian smiled. "Now you just have to turn it."

Jon groaned.

•••

When the door finally opened, you dashed into the fortress.

"That's it?" Damian asked. "My father said Superman kept his most prized possessions here. And all it takes to get in is a large key?"

"Maybe there's some sort of guard dog," you muttered, the boys jogging up behind you.

Just then, growling caught your ear.

"What was that?"

"The guard dog."

•••

You ran around the fortress, trying your best to keep up with Damian while keeping Jon close behind. The dog could somehow fly, and was absolutely vicious.

"Your dad has a super dog?" Damian called to Jon. "Why didn't he tell you he had a super dog?"

"Questions I'm gonna ask later," Jon panted.

"If we survive!" You yelled.

Damian tried to chuck small explosives at the damn thing, but they were reflected. It picked Damian up by his cape and began shaking him. Jon grabbed a batarang that Damian had dropped and threw it at the dog. It caught it on it's mouth. The batarang exploded, and you grabbed the boys off the ground.

"Come on!" You yelled, pulling them into a sprint behind you.

The dog chased you up and down hallways until you came to a drop-off. You gasped, and Damian grabbed the hood of your jacket to pull you back. You all turned around as the dog lunged forward, teeth bared, until Damian shoved you both out of the way. He began performing moves that both Grace and Dick had taught him, and landed on the floor of the drop-off. The dog turned to you and Jon.

"Damn it!" You screamed, grabbing his hand and dashing off. The dog grew a little too close for comfort at times, and you narrowly avoided its teeth.

Suddenly, you were in the air, gripping John's hand as he screamed. You both fell onto the ground a good distance away from the dog. Damian jogged over, but before you could converse, the dog fired lasers at you. You began to run again, growing tired. You could feel yourselves slowing down.

"Which way?" Jon asked.

"How should I know? I've never been here before," Damian responded sassily.

"Then why did we come here?!" He yelled back.

Jon grabbed both you and Damian, and suddenly, you went crashing into a wall, smushed between the two boys.

"Get the hell off me!" You yelled, kicking Damian off when you all landed, before rolling off of Jon.

You turned, and couldn't believe your eyes. A larger Kryptonian statue. Out of nowhere, the dog tackled Jon and snarled.

"Heel!"

"What in the?..." you watched as one of the statues took on a life of its own.

"And I thought the Batcave was weird," Damian muttered.

"Krypto. Don't you know who this is?"