Carnival

The day was quiet

The day was quiet. You had started off your morning in the non-combatant training room, practicing your flexibility and some new moves Dick had taught you. When noon rolled around, you visited the kitchen, making an egg omelet and a protein shake, and were soon joined by Jaime. After lunch, Gar invited you to an epic game of miniature soccer (which he unfortunately won), and then took you into the common room for a movie.

He chose Grease.

"You must think I'm crazy." He smiled, putting the DVD into the player.

"No, no! I love Grease!" You assured him, and Gar turned to you. "It was my adoptive sister's favorite before she passed, and my adoptive father didn't mind it either. He's a huge movie buff."

"I'm sorry for your loss."

"Oh.." you were shocked my his sincerity.

You had talked with Jaime at lunch, and he had described Gar as rude and ill-mannered. You could see where Jaime was coming from, but Gar was nothing but pleasant and sweet to you. Yes, he did sprinkle in the occasional dirty or flirtatious comment here and there, but you didn't mind. In fact, you usually responded with something equally dirty.

"Thank you. She died a while ago."

Gar hit play, and walked to the couch, flopping down next to you.

Halfway through the movie, you and Gar were discussing the dynamics of every scene and the plot of the entire film.

"I'm just saying, Danny and Sandy are two stereotypical high schoolers who teach the audience to change for their lover." Gar stated.

"Oh, my gosh! Finally, someone gets it!" You exclaimed, elbows on top of the pillow resting on your crossed legs. Gar had his arm thrown behind you, resting on the back of the couch.

"'Oh, the guy I had sex with on the beach during the summer is a bad boy and I'm a normal person, so let me pierce my ears and start smoking!' What kind of message is that?!"

"I know, right?" Gar laughed.

"Hey, but it's still a good movie." You turned, looking to him.

He turned to you, his auburn eyes locking with your as he smiled gently.

"Agreed."

You both stayed like that for a moment, until Kori walked in, yelling up a storm.

"Everyone! Shoes on and in the car! We're heading out!"

"Oh, shit!" You gasped, standing. "I need to change. We can finish the movie later!"

"Yeah!" Gar nodded, running off to wherever he had left his sneakers.

••

The car ride was rather silent. You all pulled up to a carnival, and you actually could feel excitement bubbling in your chest.