Justice, Not Vengance

Bruce was pissed about the new Bats

Bruce was pissed about the new Bats. Batwing and Batwoman both got calls from Dick, and you had a stern talking to about what to do when he was gone.

You didn't like the way he talked to you. He was angry, which was odd. You hadn't seen Bruce angry in two years, when the Court of Owls infiltrated the Batcave.

"Bruce," you began. "I, Dick, Damian, Kate, and Luke just saved your ass. Can't you be a bit more grateful?!"

"I don't need to be grateful!" Bruce yelled, and you took a step back, eyes wide. "You went on a dangerous, unauthorized mission and risked everything!"

You raised an eyebrow at his wording.

"What's 'everything' in this scenario?"

In response to your question, Bruce raised his hand, and smacked you. You gasped, your hand flying up to feel your stinging red cheek.

"Father!" Damian yelled, but immediately shrank back under Bruce's glare.

You retreated to your room for the rest of the night.

After a week, you sat in the Batcave. The swelling in your cheek had gone down days before, and your mood had softened. Bruce had also seemed to forget his anger.

"You really should be resting." Dick commented as Bruce continued to deadlift.

"The summit is tomorrow." You agreed.

"It's been a week, I'm fine."

"Like father, like son." Alfred mused. Damian glared. "All things considered, Master Bruce, you're in surprisingly good condition."

"Yeah." You began. "It's suspicious."

Bruce put down the weights and looked to you.

"What did she do to you?" You asked, eyebrow quirked in curiosity.

Bruce stood, and walked off.

The ride to the summit was eerily quiet. You didn't like it. Bruce wasn't a chatterbox, but he would make conversation with you. You were his sidekick. His adoptive daughter. His friend.

You shifted uncomfortably in your dress. Bruce had insisted that you wouldn't need your suit today. That everything would go smoothly for once. To just trust him.

You didn't.

You had your suit under your dress, probably why it was so uncomfortable, your boots in Alfred's case, as he had also found it odd Bruce had said you didn't need your suit, and your domino mask wedged into your suit.

The drive did go smoothly, you would give Bruce that. Alfred helped you out of the car, and the paparazzi screamed with joy. You made your way down the carpet, answering questions.

"Miss Wayne!" A reporter yelled. "Do you currently have a lover?"

"I'm afraid that's personal."

"Do you know what will happen tonight?"