3

The war cost Damian his brother, and his lover.

☀︎︎

"Damian?" You whispered as the transmission from The Hall of Justice ended.

"Yes?"

You looked down. "I don't feel too good about this."

"Neither do I." Damian turned on his heel, and marched right up to Dick.

The two got into a heated argument, which had everyone staring.

"I'm not risking everything for something already broken!" Damian yelled, clenching his fists.

"You're a Titan, Robin! That's your job!" Dick sighed. "Look, we'll discuss this after the battle. But you need to learn that there are always risks in war."

You watched as Dick exited the room, and you looked down. Slowly, everyone began to filter out, including Raven.

"Damian?" You asked again. He moved to stand next to you. "If something goes wrong, remember, justice, not vengeance."

"You're not implying that I'll lose you, are you?"

"You're the stronger out of the two of us. It's obvious. You were trained to be a living weapon." You looked at your boots. "Justice, not vengeance. Swear to me, Damian."

Damian looked down. "I swear to God, justice, not vengeance."

He was sure God was laughing now, as you pushed him into the water, mouthing "I love you", a heartbroken smile on your face. He hit the water hard, and watched as Paradooms enveloped your body.

You were gone.

••

When Bruce entered the League of Assassins' territory, Damian was already pissed. But he brought Clark Kent, and two strange women.

They introduced themselves as Estella and Rachel, previous Black Birds.

Damian scoffed. "Come. I want you to show you what this war has cost me."

He led the group down a long hallway.

"I, along with Lorrietta, were against your plan from the beginning, Kent." Damian hissed. "But Nightwing convinced me not to voice my many objections. 'There are always risks in war,' he said."

"He's not saying that anymore." Damian came up to a large reinforced door, and opened the small slit.

Inside sat Dick, wrapped in a stray jacket, rocking himself back and forth, muttering indistinctly. If you listened closely, you could hear him saying, 'Could have saved her. Could have saved Lorri, too. Could have saved them all. No! No, no, no. They're all dead.'

Dick whipped around, looking at the door, teeth bared. He had animalistic eyes, and let out a growl.

Batman gasped.

"You used the Lazarus Pit?!"

"I had too." Damian said, looking down. "He's my brother."

"With that logic, you used it on Black Bird too! Where is she?!"

"Bruce," Rachel stepped forward. "Take it easy."

"That's the other thing you cost me, Father." Damian hissed. "My love."

"What?"

Damian turned around again, making his way deeper down the hallway, and stoping at a wall of paintings. Many of them were of Ra's al Ghul, a few of Talia al Ghul, and one or two of him, but I'm the center was a painting of you, laying in the grass.