Prologe

Terra was nice enough. A little distant, but nice. She actually seemed to only confide in you. She had been on the team for a whole year, yet she hardly knew anything.

You, on the other hand, saw her as a perfect opportunity to get Garfield a date. Yeah, Terra was distant, but she totally liked him.

It wasn't overly obvious. You were pretty sure not even she knew it, so you'd just sprinkle in comments here and there like "I think Gar is free tonight, why not hang out with him?" or, "I bet you'd like this movie. Gar absolutely loves it."

Yet she never took the damned bait.

You couldn't put all your time and energy into trying to get the two together. You had your own romantic troubles.

It had been two years since you and Damian had put the relationship on hold, and you were starting think that you had split up. Permanently. He was growing close with Raven, and it fucking hurt. But over time, you realized, he wasn't your damned pet. If you loved him, you would let him go.

And that's what you kept telling yourself.

You spoke to him about it.

"Damian." You greeted, entering his room.

He stayed silent, sharpening his sword. His back was facing you.

"I want to talk, about us."

He paused, only for a moment, before continuing the motion.

"Whatever the hell is happening between us, let's not let it interfere with the team. We need to be good sports. I know you probably aren't ready to tell me about your... current romantic situation, but when you are ready, I'm here."

The sound of metal sharpening continued, and you turned on your heel, leaving.

••

"Gar?" You called, knocking on his door.

"Come in." He responded.

He sounded drowsy. You had woken him up.

"I'm sorry," you began, still speaking through the door. "I knew you were sleeping, I'll leave you."

Before you could turn, Gar's door opened, and he yanked you in, shutting the door behind him.

"That's clearly why it's important." He gave you a cheesy smile, and sat on his bed.

He was shirtless, in a pair of sweatpants. His hair was messier than normal, and he looked tired, yet awake. He patted the spot next to him.

"What's wrong?" He asked softly as you sat next to him.

"You know about me and Damian, right?" You began, looking him in the eyes.

"Only what you've told me and what I've seen. Why?"

"I was... I was showering." You began.

Gar wiggled his eyebrows, playfully winking at you, and you laughed, continuing.

"I walked out, and Terra was there."

Gar's playful look was replaced with confusion.

"I don't know Terra that well, so I'm not jumping to conclusions, but... she said to look outside."

"And what did you see?" Gar asked.

"Damian. And Raven." You whispered shakily. "Too close for comfort. They're like that all the time. Alone. Together. And I don't want to jump to conclusions or be a jealous person, and besides, we were never official, but-"

Gar cut you off.

"Lorri, I know Raven. She would never." But there was uncertainty in his voice.

He was lying.

"But Damian would." You began, your lip quivering.

"NUH-UH." Gar yelled, standing up. "YOU AIN'T GONNA CRY OVER HIM, GURLFRIEND. YOU DON'T NEED HIM, HE NEEDS YOU." He jabbed his finger into your chest. "NOW GO TO SLEEP, GET A GOOD NIGHT'S REST, AND IMMA TAKE YOU FOR PIZZA TOMORROW."

Gar shoved you out of his room, still screaming. "WEAR YOUR SEXIEST OUTFIT. THAT ASSHOLE WONT KNOW WHAT HIT HIM. WE'LL SHOW HIM."

"Okay, okay!" You shushed him, laughing.

"I AM WAKING YOU UP AT 9:00 AM SHARP!" Gar finished, shutting his door.

The next morning was okay. You returned from your pizza filled shopping spree at about 1:00, only to find Damian was gone.

"I'm just saying," you continued. "I think you could be a bit more gentle. You're a great guy, Terra is just shy."

"Uh, speaking of which." Gar began, motioning ahead as he shut the tower door behind you both.

"Lorri!" Terra called. "Have you seen your boyfriend?"

"Damian? No. Why?"

Terra gave you a look. "Are you kidding me? First, he's with another girl, and then he leaves without telling you."

"I'm sure he's fine." You said, storming off.

Gar paused. "I'll text him."

"Don't!" You screamed from down the hall. "Just... just leave him."