volume ii. xxx

in the winter of the fourteenth year of jianyuan, the xiongnu army suppressed the city, and the great general ji jiu led 80,000 troops out of the city to meet the enemy. on the third day of the battle, the xiongnu retreated ten miles and camped in xiemapo.

just into the winter, should not have been so cold, this year's weather is a little strange, after the xiongnu retreated heavy snow for three days, the first snow was more than a month earlier than in previous years, i don't know what the omen shows.

shen jue brought someone to see ji jiu, but it was shen hai.

shen hai smiled and saluted, which was the etiquette of his subordinates. ji jiu froze for a moment before he hesitated, "my grain and grass officer, could it be you?" "

shen hai said, "when a new official takes office, please bear more responsibility for the general." "

ji jiu did not expect that the emperor would transfer shen hai to be his grain and grass official, and while he felt that this was a big deal, he felt relieved. with shen hai present, this battle will be fought for ten years, and he is not afraid of the army's lack of food.

of course, at the same time, he naturally thought that shen hai had come here to supervise the army for the emperor.

however, at this time, ji jiu did not want to think about this, and no matter how many vicious things the emperor had done over the years, he had not treated him badly, and had always trusted and relied on him, which was irrefutable.

the snow stopped, and ji jiu took shen hai to the city tower, ascending to the far horizon, and it was a white and vast world.

ji jiu did not make a sound for a long time, looking at the distance out of his mind. shen hai stood behind him and looked at him for a long time before he said, "general, you don't have to worry about grain and grass." "

ji jiu sniffed and turned his head back and asked, "really?" "

shen hai immediately replied, "seriously! "

"what if i'm going to fight for ten years?" ji jiu asked, laughing, so that people could not hear the truth or falsity of this sentence.

shen hai was stunned for a moment, this time he couldn't simply do it, ten years, ten years of war, how many people died, how much silver money was consumed. there was no way he could give a crisp answer.

ji jiu saw that he was embarrassed, patted him on the shoulder and said, "talking about jokes, why take it seriously." we consume ten years of energy, where can the huns afford it? they will only withdraw their troops and will not play with us. "

shen hai breathed a sigh of relief and eased his mind before he said, "how is the general going to fight?" "

ji jiu said, "if it's you, how can you fight?" "

"our army's elite and strong generals have been fiercely fighting for the past few years since the pacification in the south, and they are only waiting for this battle." shen hai said, "just go out of the city to meet the enemy, and in january at most, you can repel them." "

ji jiu listened, but did not speak.

shen hai did not get any response, knowing that there was a difference, and asked ji jiu, "how is the great general going to fight?" "

"don't fight." ji jiu's two words, thrown away unusually crisply, were obviously well thought out for a long time, and as soon as he asked, he immediately threw them out.

shen hai's hot blood was splashed down like ice water by these two words, and he was suddenly cold. standing stupidly on the city gate, he didn't understand what ji jiu's "don't fight" meant. i don't know, this answer, should not tell the emperor.