chapter forty

Alexis PierceI sit up next to him in my leggings and bra, stroking his head and sighing

Alexis Pierce
I sit up next to him in my leggings and bra, stroking his head and sighing. He was finally asleep, his body finally relaxed. I think he can look after himself from here onwards. He was laying on his stomach, arms under the pillow his head was on, his cheeks squished up a little, his back rising and falling as he breathes in and out silently. I sigh and tuck his hair behind his ear, looking at the earring lazily sitting on his jaw hinge. I slide my shirt on, feeling a bit cold. I stand up and lean over to him one more time, kissing his head softly.

I walk over to his drawers, pulling out a grey hoodie. I dodge the mess on the floor and pull the covers up his lower back a little bit more because he was laying on his stomach. I see faint scratches on his back and I know they're from before.

I leave the room, stepping over a lot of shit until I see his necklace I gave back, still on the floor. I bend over and pick it up and putting my head through it. I smile and gently open his door, stepping out and silently closing the door.

"Alexis?" Gemma says in a whisper, looking at me, startling me.

"Hi," I say, she looks at the hoodie I was wearing. "He's asleep so just...be quiet," I say, shrugging and just about ready to get out of here. I sigh and spin around.

"I'm never gonna forgive you," she says matter of factly, which makes me freeze.

That makes my skin crawl and I just look at her, we were about 5 metres away from each other but I felt half the world away. I just shrug. "Thanks for telling me that," I admit, that means I can give up and accept that I've lost her forever. I spin around again.

"But," she says, making me freeze again. "Thank you..." she mumbles, I just smile softly. "Is he okay?" she acts like she doesn't care but I know she does.

"He will be," I say. "Just let him sleep, please,"

"You slept with him again, I heard you,"

"You're mom let me do anything with him to get him to trust me, I wasn't going to because I wanted to get you back but, I knew I had to and I'm sorry again. It's what he wanted and I was there for whatever he wanted to do," I shrug softly.

She doesn't say anything, she just stands there.

I wave and this time I walk away, walking downstairs. I was just gonna leave but Anne comes up to me. "Is he okay?" she and Robin both look worried.

"He will be," I nod. They let go of the breath they were holding. "He's sleeping, finally, he was eating, just not enough,"

"Thank god," Robin says. "Thank you so much Lex,"

"Yeah," I nod.

"Are you leaving?" she asks.

"I know Gemma doesn't want me here so yes," I nod. "He should be okay to do things on his own now,"