C H A P T E R 4 8

DISTRICT 13:

Katniss stood before Plutarch and Coin in her hideous district uniform. She was determined. Nervous, sure, but determined to get her friends to safety.

"Thank you for agreeing to meet with me. I've decided I'll be your Mockingjay." Plutarch looks pleased, "but I have some conditions. Peeta Mellark and the other Tributes, Johanna Mason, Jessica Miller and Annie Cresta, will be rescued at the earliest opportunity. If and when Peeta is liberated, he will receive a full and unconditional pardon. No punishment will be inflicted. And the same goes for the other Tributes."

"No." Coin answers.

"It's not their fault you abandoned them in the arena. They're doing and saying whatever they can to survive," Katniss argues coldly.

"Individuals don't make demands in 13. There will be a tribunal. And a fair judgement. Thank you." President Coin announced.

"The Victors will be granted immunity. And you will announce that in front of the entire population of 13. You will hold yourself and your government responsible or you will find another Mockingjay." Katniss demands, gritting her teeth.

Plutarch points at her with a happy smug look, "That's it. That's her. Right there. Isn't that who I promised you? She wears the costume. Gunfire in the background. A hint of smoke. Our Mockingjay." He looked at Coin, "Madam President, we're losing ground, because people are losing heart. This is worth the risk. She's worth the risk. Pardons. Tribunals. Pardons of the people. It can all be bedrock of the new Panem, but, in wartime I think even the noblest of causes can be bent a little bit. Right?"

Katniss stands her ground, face unwavering.

"Do you have any other conditions?" Coin asks reluctantly.

She looks down at her paper then back up at them in an awkwardly teenage manner, "my sister gets to keep her cat."

The population of 13 gather around.

Coin speaks, "Good afternoon. Thank you for interrupting your schedules. They have already been adjusted to compensate for the delay. Please check in with your unit supervisors when you resume work. I have an announcement for the citizens of 13. And our welcome guests from other districts. Katniss Everdeen has consented to be the face of our cause to help unite districts against the Capitol. In exchange, I have promised several concessions. First, we'll assess all opportunities for the extraction of the Victors held hostage in the Capitol. Peeta Mellark," murmurs of disagreement are heard within the crowd, "Johanna Mason, Jessica Miller," Finnick smiles gratefully at Katniss as the Mockingjay returns the gesture, "and Annie Cresta. Once freed, they will be granted full pardon for any and all crimes committed against the rebel cause." Loud shouts of disagreements are heard from the crowd, "if Katniss Everdeen fails to fulfil her duties the deal will be off. Thank you for your attention. Please, resume your daily schedules."

AN: they're finally gonna be rescued soon, hopefully.