C H A P T E R 6 6

After showing Peeta the video of Katniss, he remembered something, leading Haymitch to tell Katniss she should pay him a visit. She reluctantly obeyed, though she didn't want to, she'd do it for Peeta.

They look at each other for a few moments before Peeta speaks, "I watched you die. You look terrible."

"You've looked better," Katniss bites back.

"You're not remotely nice to say that to me now," Peeta replies coldly.

"I was never the nice one. You are," Katniss spoke in present tense.

"When I saw you die, I remembered something. About the bread." Peeta's face was void of any emotion. "I remember you in the rain, and I burned it on purpose to give it to you. I remember my mother hitting me. I was supposed to give it to the pig," Peeta recalls.

"That was the first we'd eaten in days," Katniss' eyes begin to water.

"Why would I take a beating like that for you?" Peeta asks.

"Because you were kind and generous." She though about what Jessica had done for Annie too, the two were alike in that way. "And people said you loved me," Katniss answered quickly.

"Did people say you loved me?" Peeta asks quickly.

"They said that's why Snow tortured you, to hurt me," Katniss replies.

"Snow says that everything that comes out of your mouth is a lie. All I know is that I would've saved myself a lot of suffered if I would've just given that bread to the pig," Peeta says in a cold tone before Katniss left.

AN: filler chapter.