C H A P T E R 8 5

When she woke again, she felt the familiar tightness of bandages wrapped around her body: from below her armpits to above her hips. Not enough to completely restrict movement but enough for her to know her spine was badly damaged, though, it didn't feel that bad.

"You suffered from a bruised spine, luckily the thick coat protected you. Without it you'd probably be paralysed. Over the time you've been unconscious, it's healed rather nicely already so you should be alright to move around. Just take it easy, no exercise for a couple days at least."

Jessica nods before the nurse continues to catch her up on what she missed.

"Fight was over after the Capitol dropped those bombs to defend the palace. The rebels walked right in. Everybody felt it. Peacekeepers, palace guards. They had kids in there too. It was over after that," one of the nurses explained.

Jessica thought of the last thing she could remember. Flames. Smoke. Fire. Pain. Further back. Children. Sponsor gifts. Bombs. Little bit forward. Katniss. Prim. "Prim? Primrose Everdeen," her voice was quiet, from being unused. She thought of her friends sister and her brothers crush.

"She's... alright. She's currently in a coma. She will wake up but it may take a few weeks."

She felt herself let out a sigh of relief. Katniss would be lost without Prim. Her brother would be sad without Prim. Prim deserved to live, she was good. "My brothers?"

"Jacob and Kylo, right?" Jessica nods. "They're both just fine. Your brother, Jacob, stayed behind to look after his girlfriend-"

"Girlfriend?" Jessica smirked.

"Yes, Johanna Mason, I believe." Jessica smiled at that. "Your other brother, Kylo, stayed with the other children in 13. When Jacob came down with Johanna he came with them. I believe he's with Prim as we speak."

"Okay, good." She asked the question she had been dreading. "Finnick...Odair?"

The nurse smiled, "he's fine. Better than you last saw him, in fact. He got all his injuries checked out, healing rather nicely, and is now waiting rather anxiously to be able to see you."

It was weird being in the Capitol. Living in the same house, the same 'home' that he had lived in. The whole mansion had a faint smell of the strong perfume his roses reeked of. His memory, his presence, would always haunt this building, Jessica would rather carry on with her life far away from this place as soon as possible.

Brayden dropped Jessica off at Primrose's hospital room first, to see Kylo and Katniss, before taking her to the mansion.

The Mockingjay had greeted her with a hug, "I'm so glad you're okay."

"You too kitty," Jess smiled. Noticing Katniss' worried, tired eyes, she added, "she's gonna be okay." She turned to her brothers wide smiling face looking at her, "hey little man."

"Jessie!" He leapt up from his chair and wrapped his arms round his sister, "I knew you'd be okay."

"Course I am, takes more than an explosion to get me," she lets him go before following Brayden out the room.

She is taken to Jacob and Johanna's temporary room (where she teased the two endlessly about them being in 'looove'). Finally, Brayden takes her to another bedroom, but doesn't go inside. "Your stuff is already in there waiting for you, I believe it's been unpacked," he smiled genuinely, only adding to Jessica's confusion. She thanked her friend/dresser before turning the handle and walking in.

AN: I couldn't kill Prim, I don't want Katniss to be sad, dw though, this doesn't mean Gale is off the hook completely.