C H A P T E R 7 5

As the explosion sounds, Katniss runs towards Boggs who was lay on the ground, despite Lieutenant Jackson shouting at her to stop.

Jessica left Peeta in Finnick's care as she followed after the Mockingjay protectively.

Upon reaching Boggs, he tells her to get the Holo and hand it to him. "Unfit for command. Transfer primary security clearance." He looks at Katniss, "say your name."

"Katniss Everdeen," she replies, confused. "What did you just do?"

"Katniss, don't trust them. Kill Peeta if you have to," he sent an apologetic glance at Jessica, "do what you came to do." And with that, Boggs took his last breathe as his brown eyes became lifeless.

"He's gone," Gale spoke as Homes looked up from Boggs' leg were he had been trying to reduce the blood loss. Jessica was the first to stand, saying a silent goodbye to Boggs (who she saw as a good man). She reached out her hand for Katniss to take, helping the girl stand.

Katniss could only assume what he had meant: don't trust Coin, kill Snow and Peeta (if necessary).

One of the Leeg sisters let out a pained cry causing the other sister to rush over. On her way, she accidentally activates another pod. The gates at either end roll shut, trapping the Star Squad in the courtyard.

A black wave appears out of nowhere, flooding into the area and covering Boggs' dead body in the process. It was getting dangerously close as Peeta lunges at Katniss. He attempts to hit her in the head with the end of his gun but Katniss rolls away just in time. He is tackled out of the way by Mitchel who he shoves into the oozing black liquid. Finnick grabs Peeta in a headlock as Jessica helps Katniss to her feet.

The black liquid doesn't stop.

They shoot the glass door of the nearest building and rush inside in an attempt to find some sort of safety and shelter. The wave chases them inside as they rush up the steps.

"Keep moving! Keep moving to the top," Lieutenant Jackson orders.

The group move up as far as possible until they reach the next set of stairs which have fallen into rubble.

The injured Leeg sister is placed on the floor and Peeta is sedated.

The building creeks from the pressure of the black liquid running through it. Luckily, the liquid begins to slow down, stopping at the last step, right before it reaches the squad. The liquid squelches before solidifying.

Finnick and Jessica share a sympathetic glance over their fallen friend, Boggs.

"The gamemakers are still putting on quite a show," Cressida mutters.

"451 to base, over," Jackson keeps repeating through the radio.

"Hey, we'd better move. If Peacekeepers didn't know where we were, they do now," Finnick informs the group.

"Those surveillance cameras caught us," Gale adds. "This is a bad spot. We need to move now."

"I can't get a signal, but I can get us back to base. Everdeen, give me the Holo," Lieutenant Jackson commands. "Everdeen, what did I just say, the Holo. Come on, let's go."

Katniss looks at Jessica with an anxious teenage expression, Jessica gives her an encouraging nod. The Mockingjay speaks in a strong voice, "Boggs gave it to me."

"What are you talking about?" Jackson asked, shocked.

"He did," Jessica backs Katniss up.

"He transferred security clearance to her," Homes explains. "We saw him."

"Why would he do that?" Jackson asks warily.

"I'm on special orders from Coin," Katniss lied easily.

"To do what?" Jackson pushed.

"To assassinate President Snow," Katniss replied.

"I don't believe that for one second. And as your new unit commander, I order you to transfer security clearance to me now." Jackson ordered.

"I can't do that," Katniss stands her ground.

Lieutenant Jackson reaches for her gun, causing everyone else to react. Jessica moved to stand in front of Katniss, Gale aimed at Jackson, the Leeg sister (defending her twin and Lieutenant) aimed at Gale, Finnick also aimed at Jackson, and Leah, Cressida, Pollux and the others watched cautiously.

"I'm not asking you again, Everdeen. Give me that Holo," Jackson commands.

"She's telling the truth," Cressida stands in front of Jessica who was shielding Katniss. "Plutarch wants it televised. He thinks if we can film the Mockingjay assassinating Snow, it'll make the Capitol surrender before the casualties get too high."

"While we're arguing, there's a hundred Peacekeepers on their way here," Gale announces.

Katniss pats Jessica on the shoulder, a silent 'it's okay' signal, causing Jessica to nod and move aside. She lowers Gale's gun and faces Jackson. "Boggs promised me that when the time came you would help me."

Jackson lowers her gun, causing everyone else to also slowly relax. The older woman nods, "all right, soldier. Holo's yours."

Katniss nods back as Gale goes to test the black covered stairs, "I don't think we're going to leave any footprints. We should move now. Those cameras outside should be covered by the oil."

"She can't move forward like this," Castor gestures to the injured Leeg sister. "Her leg's too bad. We have to evacuate her." He looks at the other twin, "I'm sorry."

"I'll stay with her," the Leeg sister says.

"As soon as we make contact, we will send somebody back," Jackson promised.

The group move out as Finnick and Messalla help Peeta up off of the ground.

Gale leads the group, shortly followed by Jackson.

AN: sad, I liked Boggs :(