Billy / Steve: Underground

(A/N): Songfic and powerfic based on "Underground" by Cody Fry. While the words don't match up with the song exactly, I feel like this works out well. Peace!

I woke up underground

Not a light and not a sound

Threw my voice into the dark

But the dark had no remark

Just repeated what I said

Billy awoke strapped to a table. His mind spun as he tried to collect his thoughts. There was no way to pinpoint where he was. There was so much lab equipment surrounding him that he was nowhere he knows in Hawkins. The room was dark and the only light coming through was from a few of the gadgets with glowing parts and some strange vials of green goo.

The California boy tried to pick himself up but found the straps stronger than his groggy self. He laid for who knows how long until he could think straight. Once he could he was fucking pissed. The last thing he remembered was fighting the monster that had controlled him for weeks. It was a horrible feeling being trapped in your own mind. He was stuck in the black place for so long that he had sensory overload when he gained back control of his body. Now, waking up again in a strange place with no recollection of how he got there, he was pissed. His external temperature heated up and his arms slowly turned Scarlett. He used his rage to fuel his fire. His emotions poured into his powers and the belts holding him down

The leather bands that restrained him dried up and snapped off. His body fell forward onto the floor with a loud thud. Though, because he took time to regain his strength earlier, he was good to go. Billy lifted himself up and steadied himself on his feet. He put his palm facing up and a strong flame appeared. It gave off enough light for him to navigate whatever he would face next.

Claustrophobic at first

Struck by hunger and thirst

I stood up and looked around

There was nothing to be found

Just a world I couldn't see

The halls were pitch black. He couldn't even see the colour of the walls around him. His hand slid along them, and the cold metal was the only feeling he got back.

"Hello!" The sound echoed off the walls and no sound returned. The silence mocked him while he waited for a response. The room was still, and Billy accepted there was no one else around. The darkness around him felt thicker than normal. His fire only illuminated so much around him. He formed the fire into a fully formed ball and threw it forward. The hallway before him stretched so far that the ball dispersed before it could reach the end.

The space was too small, too narrow, even though the walls were wide. Billy started hyperventilating and he couldn't get himself to breathe straight. It took him far too long to even out his breaths. While he struggled though, he mentally broadcasted a message out to anyone with powers that could hear it. He was alive. His only wish was that it reached someone, anyone, maybe even Steve. The fire wielder just hoped his boyfriend knew how sorry he was. What he did was unforgivable, even though he hadn't done any of it.

And I heard, "Whoo"

I can't see you now

I'll find my way underground

He felt a flicker in his mind and his eyes widened in surprise. Billy. His mind whispered it to him only once. He recognized the voice it came in though. Steve's voice. Steve had heard him. Something was messing with his powers, but he caught just one word of it. That was all he needed.