Avengers: Wanda & Peter: Let's Be Alone Together

After the fall of the hex in Westview, Wanda destroys the Darkhold and goes off to live in solitude in a cabin of her own creation. During this time, she practices and hones all her powers on her own. She tries to do some research, going out and finding magical texts to study, but honestly, it wasn't much. Most of the sacred texts have been obtained and held in Kamar-Taj already and Wanda had no intention of bringing herself too Strange. She'd prefer to keep to herself and let him come to her whenever the time came.

One day as Wanda practiced her magicks, she felt a tug in her mind. There was magic trying to make her forget something, she could tell that for sure. But having magic and mental powers of her own, her mind was fortified. The newly found witch searched her mind to see what it was trying to erase and it wasn't what she expected at all. It was trying to erase any trace of Peter Parker from her mind. For the life of her, she couldn't figure out why. Until she remembered the news broadcast from a few months before. The spider-themed hero had been unmasked as a teenager to the entire world. Wanda felt bad for the kid but had no idea how to begin reaching out, so she hoped his family and friends were enough.

For the spell to be trying to erase him from her memory, it couldn't be just her. The whole world was probably forced to forget Peter Parker. And this magic felt familiar, it had been cast by the Ex-Sorcerer Supreme no doubt. And knowing him, everyone forgot who Peter was; including anyone close to him. The spell targeted Peter, not Spider-man so that meant the kid was practically alone in the world. He had no one in the world who knew who he was. No one but her. Wanda knows what it's like to want to be alone to keep people safe from ourselves. And the Spider-man, contrary to his name, was only a kid. She was 35 and what she did still hurts so she can only imagine what effect it had on the boy.

Her motherly instincts kicked in and she vowed not to let this boy be alone. If anything, they'd be alone together. She wouldn't do it immediately though. She had to give it some time. The wound would be too fresh otherwise.

———

Wanda Traveled as close to New York City as she could. She lowered herself into an alley and joined the masses walking the street. With her hood on, she was just another body in a crowd.

Before she had left, she did a tracking spell from one of the books she found. And she could feel the energy of the boy nearby. It all led her to a pretty rundown apartment building in Queens. Was he really living here alone? Friendless? With no family? Hopefully, she was wrong.

Wanda traveled up the stairs since the elevator had a large 'Out of Order' sign covering it. Once she felt she was on the right floor she left the stairwell. Her fingers slid along the wall until she was sure she had felt the apartment she was looking for. She ran her hand along the cracks in the wooden door before knocking lightly. The wood would hold, of course, but she still didn't wanna take any chances. A muffled thump came from within the apartment. Footsteps scurried to the door and the nerves started to set in. Was this really the best idea for her? She wanted to be alone and now she's trying to get involved with some kid. But she could tell the kid didn't have anyone else and he needed her as much as she (regrettably) needed him. The door swung open and there was no going back now.

"Ms. Ma- madam. Can I help you with something?" He tried so hard to cover up the fact that he knew her. Even if she did forget she would've read his mind to see why he was acting the way he was.

"I have to say that was a... decent attempt, Peter. But I already know who you are. Strange's spell tried to erase my memory but my mind is a fortress. May I come in?" Peter stepped to the side and Wanda took in his home. It was dreary and a little run down, but she could tell he tried his best to make it work. There were mementos scattered about that she couldn't understand, but she didn't need to. Because it was for him to remember, not her.

"Why did you come here exactly Ms. Maximoff? Did you need my help with something?" Of course, the kid thought she needed help. Why would he think she came for him? It was in his DNA to put others before himself.

"I came here for you Peter. I realized that you were erased from the world and you're probably, alone right?" He solemnly nodded his head. "I thought so. Due to some circumstances in and out of my control, I am also alone in the world. I know how shitty it feels to be isolated because you want to keep everyone safe. But you're a kid Peter, in no situation should you be where I am. You deserve to be loved and cared for and I came here to make sure that s carried out. Now tell me everything from start to finish." Tears welled in both their eyes. Peter sat down and spilled everything. All the trauma and shit he'd been put through since getting his powers. Things like getting pushed to the side by Tony (even if only for his protection) and losing his Aunt May. There were good parts too though; his favorite being meeting the other versions of himself. Wanda sat quietly and absorbed it all. On the outside, she was crying for the boy. On the inside, her heart broke and filled with anger. Who allowed this sweet child to go through any of this?

Wanda could feel her power moving within her. It was swelling and wanted to burst free to correct reality to protect the child. She couldn't trust it to do that though, it had to be kept in check for the sake of everyone around. Instead of using her words, she walked over to Peter and squeezed him with all the love she could muster.

"It's okay Ms. Maximoff, really, I'm over all of it." Fuck, he was such a sweet kid. He was too good for this shitty world.

"No Peter, I know you're not over it, and you don't have to be. You can be sad and angry and as broken up inside as you need to be. Blow up if you need to. Be angry at the world. But don't lie to yourself and say you're okay. You have the right to express yourself however you see fit after all you've been through." And with the validation he desperately needed, Peter broke down in Wanda's arms. He sobbed and screamed and shook with every pent-up emotion. Wanda wishes she could let loose like that, but she couldn't handle the thought of her magic getting loose. She settled for just holding him until his screams turned to whimpers and the steam of tears turned into a trickle. They were there for hours at least. Wanda would've stayed all night if she had to. She may not have had her kids, but with Peter here that pain hurt a little less. In fact, it felt like she had another kid of her own.

"Thank you, for remembering me. I forgot what it feels like to have someone know me. I appreciate you Ms. Max-"

"Kid, you've cried on my shoulder for hours, I think you have the right to call me Wanda." He grinned at the sentiment.

"Thank you, Wanda. Also, I don't wanna be a pain but, do- do you think you could visit me every once in a while? I would love to be able to talk to you more." She was going to strangle this kid with how cute he is.

"Peter I will come every day if need be. Or, alternatively, you could come live with me? I could expand my cabin and it would just be the two of us. I don't want you being on your own and... maybe I don't wanna be on my own anymore either."

"I think I would like that. But what if I want to come back to the city?" Wanda shot him a questioning look.

"I can send you back here anytime you want."

"Then let's go." They got to work packing the few belongings he had, and Wanda flew them over to her cabin. She didn't have her own kids, and she hopefully would get them back one day, but for now, she had Peter and that was good enough for her. Hopefully Strange wouldn't come to take her away because she couldn't leave him alone again. As long as she was here, he would never be alone.