Chapter 1

As Miley continued to ramble about the lecture we just had, I couldn't help but completely zone out.  It's Sunday! And dad should have been here.

  As it's almost nine o'clock in the morning, he should have been busy with his tie, struggling adorably to get it right before he was late for church.

He never liked being late. Yes, he was a gentleman if you would put it that way. Kim and I would always get so excited whenever it was Sunday!

Dad made us love going to church. We would never miss a single Sunday for no reason at all. It was fun having dad around. We weren't the richest family in  Boston but we felt and lived like we had everything. Dad made it that way.

He found hope and light in every awkward situation. After Church every Sunday, He would drive us all to McDonald's. It was his favourite and we all loved it.

Then we all got slowly dragged into a nightmare we haven't woken up from till now. Dad got into an accident. It all happened so fast. That was when our lives changed for the worse.
From a daddy's girl to a real hustler.

Just like any other family in Boston, we learnt the hard way to survive.

"April!"

Jumping a little, I looked towards my friend who by this time is carrying an annoyed expression on her pretty face.
"Don't tell me you didn't listen to my entire blubber!"

Miley complained. I smiled apologetically and tried so hard to prevent any unknown tears from falling from my eyes. "Sorry Miley, I just got a little carried away."

I lied.

Miley knows about whatever happened two years ago. She's been my close friend for as long as I can remember.

Almost like a sister to me.
Miley knew how close I was to my dad so she understands whenever I would break down. She's been finding a lot of interesting ways to get my mind occupied but it's difficult.

On Sundays like this, the emptiness becomes too much and I just can't help but break down. "April! Look at  me...hey look at me"

I tried to look into her eyes but there was no way I can do that without weeping.
"Don't be so hard on yourself! It's been two years since April! Do you think your dad will be pleased to see you like this? Put yourself together"

"I just don't get it! Why did all this have to happen to us? At this critical moment! Mom lost her job the same year dad had died. We've been relying on dad's savings but that too is all gone. Kim just got into high school! I have to pay for college tuition...Miley how can I forget and move on, if dad were to be here all this wouldn't be happening."

I spoke calmly but one could easily detect the bitterness with which I spoke.

"April..."

Miley dragged my name.
"Look everything will be fine. You just have to have fate...and besides, you know I'm always here for you. Stop being so hard on yourself."

I hugged her so tight till she complained a little. I needed comfort and she gave me just that.

"It's getting late, we should get  back to town." She suggested.

"You're right, come on I'll drop you off then head home" I spoke as I stood up and started walking towards my car.

It was my dad's and now it's mine. I handle it like a baby, just to keep it safe.

As we drove back to town, I noticed some tension in the car and decided to lighten it up. I engaged Miley in random conversations. It was our thing, every Sunday was a day for us to spend time together.