Chapter 30

Mom and I had left home a little after 8:00 am. I could spare a solid five hours before I had to run for lectures. The girls had opened up the bakery and began cleaning before we arrived.

"Welcome miss Mel."

"Hello Riley, and Amber, how's the day going." Mom said cheerfully as she began getting her hands busy. I smiled warmly at the girls and decided to get myself busy as well.

"Our day has been good...we have new orders on the plain cake and liquid lime cookies," Amber spoke.

"New orders? how many exactly, and what about the old orders, how many are done?"

"There are ten orders ma'am. Riley and I have been able to complete all the door delivery orders, the remaining five are pick-ups due next Tuesday.

"Great job guys. Riley, continue with the delivery, Amber you finish up the remaining five. April and I will handle the new orders."

And that was exactly what we did. Mom and I went straight to mixing up flour and butter. While we worked, Mom told me about her's and Mark's date the night before. I was honestly in love with what they were building. It's remarkable how with old wounds they both are still giving love a chance.

"Do you think your father would be happy that I'm moving on?" Mom asked, her once happy and bright eyes instantly turning sad.

"But of course, listen, Mom, I think dad would be very happy that you're finally reliving. You know he's always wanted the best for you...moving on is the least you could do for him."

She nodded sadly and gave a weak smile.

"So, what about Mark's ex, what happened?"

"She just left and remarried someone else, Mark has custody over the boys though."

"You know, sometimes things happen for a good purpose, she left such a good man for God knows what reason and here you are finding joy in the same man..." The bell rang signalling the presence of a customer and cutting me off. I'm sure Mom was thankful for the latter.

Because Mom and I were behind the counter in the little cubicle, the customers couldn't really see us from the frontline, but we could see them from the inside.

That's how I noticed the presence of Max Wilders when he walked in. He smiled at Amber who was right there to guide him and looked around at the pastries. After about a minute of deciding on what to get, he finally called for Amber to pack it for him.

"Are you still mad at him?" Mom asked startling me. I cleared my throat and glanced back at Max.

"Oh, no, we actually have been on good terms lately..."

"Well, go on and be nice to him, he's been very particular about our bakery." I hesitate for a while, but Mom gave me a reassuring smile and that was my cue.

I pulled off my plastic gloves and grabbed a towel to wipe my hands as I approached him. He had his back on me, so he hadn't noticed me approaching him.

"Isn't that a little too much pastry you're buying there?" Max quickly whipped his head behind, a playful smirk appeared on his face when he saw it was me.

"Aren't you supposed to be happy a pastry lover is buying from you..."

"Yeah, but the health of our customers does matter too." This caused him to chuckle slightly as he dug his hands into his pocket.

"Don't worry, I'm not eating all that alone, so you can relax." I nodded to the piece of information and looked around to prevent an awkward moment. 

"How have you been?"

"I've been good Max, what about you?"

"I'm good. I've just been out of town a lot these past weeks but, I'm back..."

"Sir your total bill is $400," Amber announced interrupting us a little. I watched as he walked over to the bill counter and paid for his pastry.

He had two full bags so I decided to help him with one over to his car.

After putting it in the back of his SUV truck, I moved a bit from the car and looked at him. He seemed to be having a mental battle because he kept opening and closing his mouth as if he wanted to say something.

"Hey, umm, I know this really cool Italian Restaurant in South Boston, they have good wine of all time...um, are you free tomorrow, I can buy you a bottle... that's only if you want..."

"I don't drink Max." I blurted out cutting him off his rumble.

"What? you're not being serious right?"

"I'm for real, I've never had alcohol."

"I don't know if I should be surprised or impressed that you actually serve alcohol to people but haven't tasted it before..."

"I sometimes don't believe it myself."

"Accept my treat and I bet you'll thank me later."

"Max, I don't know..."

"Please, just trust me on this one!" He cut me off.

"Fine! but I'm just taking a sip and nothing more,"

"Got it, just a sip and nothing more...how's 8 p.m. tomorrow?"

"Sounds good."

"Great, I'll pick you up then..."

"Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow Maxwell." I watched as he drove off into the busy street. Suddenly, the realisation that I have just agreed to go on a second date with Wilders hit me hard.

Honestly, it seemed funny how much I hated him and now actually going out with him. Not that anything could ever happen between us...

MR. COLEMAN stopped by our department earlier today to inform us about the upcoming Fashion Show tomorrow. I was nervous about it all, but I've been learning very good self-control to handle my nerves.

He also acknowledged and introduced the representatives of both Dash clothing and Louis Vuitton collections. East View had a lot of runways for such Fashion Shows. This is because a few years before now, the school only majored in Fashion and Design.

Decorations had begun and all Fashion students were excited.
I had planned a whole new style on its own. Combining a little bit of the old school with the new school. I was excited about my idea and I can't wait to get it started.

The final lecture ended eventually and I packed up and met Miley at the parking lot. I had given her a ride to school, so automatically, I'm her ride back home again.

It was almost 7:00 pm and my date with Max is at 8:00 pm.
"So how do you feel about tomorrow?"

"Well, I'm obviously a bit nervous but it's nothing I can't handle," I replied keeping my eyes on the road.

"Guess what..." Miley resumed talking as I drove.

"What Miley..." I asked as I stepped on the gas.

"I'm gonna rock the runway tomorrow as well."

"You auditioned?" I was surprised. 
"Yep, and I qualified..."
"Wow, that's that's great Miley, at least your presence would be comforting."

"Yeah, at least I get to rock fabulous designs and hey, I get to flaunt my gorgeous body as well."

"Well, that too counts..."

"Wait a minute, April, I told you to drop me off at Hakeem's and you've brought me home..."

"Miley, come on, you didn't tell me that."

"I did...you forgot."

"But why didn't you remind me!"

"Why are you complaining so much, just turn around...Hakeem lives downtown as well...that's like the same route to your house."

"Miley! Max and I have a 'meeting' at 8 p.m. and I have to be ready before that." I whined as I made a U-turn and headed downtown.

When I glanced at the time it read 7:15 p.m.  I was practically overspeeding now.

A/N
Please vote, comment and share.
~Peace